Friday, July 18, 2008

Things to Finish.

So. In an attempt to get the house more organized before the baby is here, I spent a good portion of last Sunday organizing and cleaning out the fiber room. I accounted for my long lingering projects, listed some yarn on ebay, and decided I'd try to finish some things before starting new projects.

DSC_0124

First up, the Bird in Hand Mittens. I started these back in December and almost finished the first mitten. Picked them up again, finished the knitting part on the first mitten, and last night, cast on for the second!

DSC_0142

Next, the pile of Things To Do on top of the fleece cabinet. A pile of socks that need attention, the Aran Knitting swatches with one that is about halfway done in that little wooden box in the middle, and on the right there, a completely knit cardigan that I even blocked, but for some reason never seamed. If I seam it, I'll have a sweater.

DSC_0135

The sock pile. Three pairs of handknit socks, all knit with 100% merino wool, the top two pairs from handspun yarn, the bottom, from Koigu. All with holes that need repairing/darning. This is why I stick to the Regia, Trekking, Opal these days. Weak sock yarn deserves no place in my sock drawer! Of course, this is also why I should be getting a huge pile of wool back from the mill on Monday that I had blended with nylon to actually spin strong sock yarn from. Naturally superwash down wool (a Suffolk cross) blended with 25% nylon. This should be perfect for handspinning strong sock yarn, I really can't wait to try it out.

CIMG6096

Oh yeah, the Urban Aran zip up vest. Since this pic was taken, I finished knitting the back up to about the arm holes. This is one I'd really like to wear this winter, so I think I will finish it.

DSC_0127

But for now, I think I'll finish these mittens. I can see myself wearing them often this winter, in the mornings, out feeding sheep in the frost. Frost. Snow. It seems impossible right now, in the warm, green, summer that it will be here in just a few months.

2 Comments:

At 11:25 AM, Blogger Bezzie said...

Ah sweet frost and snow. Ice. Wind. Bitter cold. I can't wait!
And just think--come winter you'll fit into CPH and the unseamed sweater again!

 
At 1:41 AM, Blogger Carolyn said...

Pretty mittens. The way this year is flying by it will be winter before we know it. I'm sure I've missed a couple of months along the line somewhere - how can it be August already??

 

Post a Comment

<< Home