Monday, July 28, 2008

Suffolk-cross/nylon Handspun Socks, Started

Started the socks with the yarn from the last post. How is it? Stripedy! Sock-y!

DSC_0335

Soft? Nope! Just like I was hoping, this yarn feels like "real" wool. Like a nice medium Shetland, or a bit like a Lopi or something. Strong, not soft!

DSC_0332

My feet aren't picky, but they sure can wear through that merino soft stuff. Or maybe I'm hard on socks. Sure I walk around without shoes, even outside on the deck, back yard...oh, to the car, maybe to take out the trash.

DSC_0331

So, I like it. Like the yarn, the socks. Now, I'll have to test my wear theory. I suppose I could wash em 2x a week and wear em every day for a month or so this winter and get a years worth of wear in a month. Any other ideas on how to test the wear part of my theory fast?

Oh, no baby yet, but I'm hoping soon!

8 Comments:

At 9:54 AM, Anonymous S said...

How awesome is that it makes stripes!
I think your idea of testing how they wear is good.

 
At 10:18 AM, Blogger Jo said...

Those are very pretty socks - muted with some lovely colour thrown in.

Quick and easy labour vibes heading your way ;)

 
At 1:54 PM, Blogger GURO said...

Gorgeous socks. Is it possible to knit a little patch and sew it on to another sock where you first wear your socks out? See how fast it wears?
I hope soon too...

 
At 4:43 PM, Blogger Bezzie said...

I dunno, I'd say wear them like normal all winter just for the sake of keeping the experiment real.

Man, I'm just hoping you don't see your due date go past. That sucks!

 
At 6:50 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

Awesome looking socks there!

 
At 2:08 AM, Blogger peri said...

Lovely socks - I find my Birks wear through my sock soles quicker than other shoes.

 
At 2:18 PM, Blogger Magatha said...

From my vast sock knitting experience, (snicker, can you hear my haughty tone? :-) the most effective way to toughen up those socks is to tighten up your gauge. This can be problematic if you cannot stand size US 0 needles, because it comes to that sometimes, but they will wear like iron. Merino was not meant for feet, other than baby's that do not take out the trash in stocking feet. Surely some flip flops would add to the life of your socks. I only badger you in this way as your sock replacement time is about to be infringed upon, bigtime. ;-)

 
At 1:51 AM, Blogger Carolyn said...

They look lovely.

I have no ideas about testing the wear on socks - mine never seem to wear out!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home