Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Fiber Overload!

When you have sheep, alpacas, a llama, a spinning obsession, and loads of fluff hanging around, you eventually get to the point where you realize that you really aren't going to be hand processing all that fiber yourself. That's when you decide to send a bunch of fleeces off to be processed at a fiber mill, then eagerly await (like a kid before Christmas) the Return of the Fluff.

DSC_0258

Yesterday, my first fluff came back. I had sent three of my ewe fleeces, a Clun Forest fleece, and two down wool fleeces to Spinderella's in Utah and three other fleeces to Morro Fleece Works in California. All of the fiber from Spinderella's and one of the fleeces from Morro came back yesterday.

Click here for a Flickr pic link with notes on it about each bag of fiber in the pic above.

DSC_0259

Morro sent back two bags of lovely pin-drafted roving from Margie (my favorite ewe), it really is wonderful, I can't wait to get the other two back as well!

DSC_0249

And this? This is what I had done with the down wool fleeces I picked up at Pagosa Fiber Festival this year. I just posted a detailed post on the House of Wool Repute about it.

A total of 20 lbs, 9 oz of fiber so far. I'm definitely going to be getting things together and opening an Etsy shop soon. So, if you're interested, stay tuned! I need to make up cute little tags with pictures of the sheep and all that first.

On the baby front, all is well, I think we're pretty ready now. Car seat, check. baby room, check. Bassinet and bedroom cleaned up and organized for baby, check. Bag packed, check. Baby stuff and diapers washed, check. So! Anytime little one.

7 Comments:

At 12:47 PM, Blogger knottygnome said...

wow that is a lot of fleece. i'll be looking for your etsy shop!

 
At 1:07 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

That all looks FABULOUS! I can't wait to shop :)

 
At 4:37 PM, Blogger Bezzie said...

Holy cow! Look at all that fleecy goodness! Was it pricey to get those fleeces processed? I'm convince my SIL who has goats, cows, and chickens to add a few sheep to the mix. She thinks I'm nuts. Maybe I should teach her to knit first. ;-)

 
At 11:53 PM, Anonymous alke said...

A baby AND and an Etsy shop..... A woman with plans - great plans ;-)

Actually, I think we all wait for it ...

 
At 9:29 AM, Blogger Teragram said...

Baa baa black sheep,
have you any wool?
Yes sir, yes sir,
three bags full!

Good luck and magic sprinkles for the big day! ::::::::::::::::::::

Magatha

 
At 6:59 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

Wow! Look at all that! I'm definitely still in for 8 oz of Eliza fluff. Cute tag not necessary.

 
At 1:46 AM, Blogger Carolyn said...

You're very lucky to have mills over there that will process such small amounts of fleece - we seem to have to come up with a minimum of 40kg both here in France and in the UK. It would be great to be able to have smaller batches done.

Sounds like you're going to be very busy!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home