Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Fastest Yarn Ever

So, last week, over on House of Wool Repute, I blogged about the yarn that took me Forever To Spin. In contrast to that, this yarn was the fastest 8 oz. of wool I've ever spun.

DSC_0181

The fiber was approximately 8 oz (225 g) of Falkland wool, handyed by Adrian of Hello Yarn from the April installment of the fiber club.

DSC_0153

I spun the first 4 oz watching 2 DVRed episodes of Anthony Bourdain on Sunday, so about 80-90 minutes I'm guessing, the second 4 oz watching the first part of I'm Not There last night, and then plied during the first part of Into the Wild last night. So, a total of 4-5 hours of spinning the singles, plying, washing, etc. is my guess.

DSC_0150

And, no, it isn't super crazy fat yarn either. Plied and washed, I have about 290 yds (265 m) of Aran weight yarn. I'm going with Aran weight since it falls between the bulky and the worsted in terms of yardage per oz.

DSC_0126

I intentionally spun this yarn light and fluffy. I kept in mind Paula Simmon's methods from "Spinning for Softness and Speed", using a long draw and treadling slower than normal to get a bit less twist and increase the soft factor.

DSC_0161

End result? A fluffy yarn. Fast to spin. Perfectly even? No. You sacrifice a bit of that even-ness in spinning this way. Do I mind? Not a bit. In fact, I'm guessing you'll hardly notice when its knit up.

I'm going to be spinning a lot more this style I think in the future I think. But now I got that out of my system, I think the 3 and 5/8 oz of paco-vicuna clouds from the Pagosa Fiber Festival are calling to me next...alas, more laceweight (but not 6 oz at least!).

7 Comments:

At 2:36 PM, Blogger Valerie said...

It looks great!

 
At 3:19 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

Wonderful! and aren't those fast spinning jobs such a joy after a slow one?

 
At 3:34 PM, Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Very pretty! It looks so smooshy! I LOVE LOVE LOVE the colors.

 
At 5:44 PM, Blogger Bezzie said...

Impressive, I can get 4 oz of somewhat fatish yarn in the amount of time that took you.

I love the golden grain look of that yarn.

 
At 1:19 AM, Blogger peri said...

Mmm lovely - like an autumnal woodland - truly beautiful.

 
At 1:43 PM, Blogger Carolyn said...

Beautiful! Fabulous colours, very autumnal.

 
At 6:05 AM, Blogger DeltaDawn said...

Man that is some purty yarn! Looks pretty darned even to me!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home