Thursday, June 26, 2008

Shearing and Sheepies.

Its been a while since I updated the blog with microfarm and sheep stuff, so here goes. We sheared the sheep a while ago, and they're all set for the summer!

DSC_1033

I had a friend/coworker who also "microfarms" come help the first day since I wasn't sure how the ewes would do (since it was their first time being sheared), me being pregnant and all. Grant and Nate sheared the first three, then after we realized that once they were caught and down they were easy, I helped with the last three the next day.

DSC_1032

This is Patty being sheared. Normally, she looks like this (she's the second one back here):

DSC_0351

So wow! The difference in color is amazing. The underside of the fleece is pure gray, the outer, creamy colored and tan. This is not only because of the sun bleaching, but also because the girls still have their baby fleece. Born creamy colored, CVM sheep get darker for the first year of their lives.

So, here's Florence with some of the lambs:

DSC_1046

And here's her fleece when I pulled it out to skirt. Wow. What an amazing color.

DSC_1424

Close-up of the locks from Florence.

DSC_1430

Her fleece was I think, my favorite from this years shearing. I skirted it really well and will send it off to Morro Fleeceworks for processing into pin drafted roving. I'm also going to send Fred and Margie's fluff there, Fred will be blended with some super nice Shetland I have in the stash.

I had been trying to decide if I'd coat my sheep or not. After skirting, I decided to go with the coats. As far as dirt and ick, they were very clean. But, since we live where it snows, we have to feed hay in the winter. And apparently, sheep have this thing. They love to pull hay up on top of each other to eat. I ended up having to skirt the neck and spine wool all out because of hay. So, jackets were ordered!

DSC_1439

I think they're kind of cute. Plus, we're not coating lambs, so we still have some nekkid sheepies out there.

Oh the other fleeces! I sent Patty, Eliza, and Shirley's fleeces to Spinderella's to be turned into lovely roving, and have Big Plans for the alpaca and llama fiber too. When we shear them. Soon. We'd better get on that.

4 Comments:

At 4:49 PM, Blogger Bezzie said...

Can you imagine having to do that the old fashioned way snipping them with shears instead of electric shears? And then prepping all those fleeces yourself? Oof. Makes me exhausted just thinking about it!

 
At 9:01 PM, Blogger Nancy said...

And just think of all that lovely fiber that you'll have to play with! All your very own!!

 
At 6:48 AM, Blogger carolyn said...

That's so interesting that you put coats on them - we have AWFUL problems with the angoras pulling hay into their fleeces during the winter - they are a nightmare to clean. Could you let me know where you bought the coats from? I don't think we could do them all, but maybe those with the best fleeces might be worth doing.
Thanks.
Carolyn

 
At 7:07 AM, Blogger Batty said...

Such pretty fleece! Poor sheepies, though, all nekkid-like.

I bet you can't wait to get all that fiber back.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home