Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Updates around the Microfarm

Well, the last of our (animal) babies have been born for the year. We ended up with 5 lambs, 2 kids, 6 chicks, and 4 turkey poults. This little kid was born to Bjork on Sunday (Bjork is the white-gray goat in the third pic down, not the one in the pic below).


"Hi Fred! Hi!"


"Sniff sniff sniff...mmmm baby goat so cute I want to play with her!"


I think the sheep are naturally better moms than these guys are. Not sure if its the breeds of sheep and goats I have, or what, but with the ewes, I didn't even worry about the lambs at all, they were all up and nursing within 30 minutes. It seemed to take until the next day for me to see the little kids nursing both times!


Speaking of lambs, look how big these guys are getting! The little black guy was born about a month after the big white guy on the left there. They're all doing well and growing.


The sheep were sheared this past weekend. I have fleece. Lots of it! Of course, I need to work on skirting and making sure they're all perfect before sending some out to get processed.

In the knitting department, well, I picked up a long-lingering pair of socks that I'm working on in the car and at home I'm working on the shawl for Lisa's wedding. I really need to finish that! Spinning, some laceweight merino-silk dyed by Blue Moon Fiber Arts, but oy, 6 oz of laceweight is taking forever. So, I also washed up some of the locks from my girls, and flick a few out and spin some Sarah's CVM singles here and there too. Mostly though, Spring chores really seem to have been taking up most of my time lately. Ah, the life of a working microfarmer.

7 Comments:

At 4:10 PM, Blogger Bezzie said...

Hon, with that "crop" of baby goats and lambs, you're on your way to being a normal farmer!

They are so darn cute. It's a darn good thing I live in Jersey. I'm trying to convince my SIL who's doing the same thing she needs a couple of sheep to complement her cows and pigs. ;-) Your posts are only helping my argument!

 
At 4:22 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

What Bezzie said.

I just love the baby animal pics.

 
At 5:34 PM, Blogger Lazuli said...

Wow, they are so very adorable! I love your minifarm posts, especially when there are baby fiber animals involved!

 
At 1:36 AM, Blogger peri said...

I love goats - they are so silly with their keyhole eyes. M has affinity with them (strange dude) wherever we go where there are goats they follow him, like they are besotted - I told him it's his manly smell - I don't think he was impressed much.

Seriously though - they are adorable - would you like to adopt me??? I could come and play.... I mean work with your animals...go on, let me.....please!!!

 
At 9:39 AM, Blogger Laura said...

Spooky is mine! all mine!

 
At 6:17 PM, Anonymous dan said...

Those are some adorable additions to your farm... my favorite must be Fred.

 
At 12:58 AM, Blogger Carolyn said...

Lambs definitely seem to get "up and at 'em" a lot quicker than goats, so I don't think it's the particular breeds that you've got. Also, I think you just don't necessarily actually SEE the kids drinking so much in the first day or so, although from our experience they obviously are!

Your flocks all look wonderfully happy and healthy - you did a great job!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home