Friday, May 16, 2008

May Bobbins

So, we sheared the sheep last weekend, so what's a spinner to do. Why, save locks that aren't good enough to send in with the whole fleece, but not bad enough to toss when skirting, wash em up, flick card em, and test spin her sheepies! (I hereby also give Valerie and my Shawl Knitting Motivation crew permission to yell--sorry!).


So, this bobbin is my sheep. The black on top is Eliza. The grays are other ewes and possibly a bit of Fred. I'm loving spinning a multicolored yarn from them. I'm planning on Navajo plying it and possibly submitting it for the handspun yarn competition at Pagosa Fiber Festival over Memorial Day.


This pinky-teal-purpley stuff is 50% merino/50 % silk top, dyed by the people at Blue Moon Fiber Arts I skipped the STR and bought stuff to spin). This is a fine single, the final yarn will be a 2-ply laceweight, so of course its taking forever to spin. I have 6 oz, and I'm pretty sure this bobbin has less than 2 on it.


Oh, that green stuff? 100% silk. Also laceweight. Also been on the bobbin forever. I should finish that one day too. As you can see, we're fully green here now. So nice. Green like unfinished silk.

8 Comments:

At 12:09 PM, Blogger Bezzie said...

Nice! I love the black n'grey. I've got a couple of bobbins I need to ply--first time plying tho!

 
At 12:58 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

Lovely singles all around. You must have a Wool-Lee Winder to get them wound on so evenly. Even when I move to a new hook constantly, I get bumps where the hooks feed.

 
At 12:59 PM, Blogger Karen said...

Ooooh, I love the black!

 
At 2:28 PM, Blogger Batty said...

I love the black and gray one! It's utterly stunning.

 
At 7:25 PM, Blogger aija said...

I LOVE "this bobbin is my sheep." So awesome, word and deed.

 
At 1:14 AM, Blogger Theresa said...

Gorgeous! I really, really, really, really, really want to see you spin - make a video? Video? Videooooo?

 
At 3:20 PM, Anonymous Christy said...

Beautiful work. Now I just need to get some sheep.

 
At 1:01 AM, Blogger Carolyn said...

I love the black and grey.

It's lovely now spring is well under way isn't it? Lovely to see green again!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home