Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Handspun Baby Dress

Ah, well, I'm back from our trip to Vancouver. What a nice city! Apart from the weather (snowy and cold) and the puking on the tiny commuter plane (thanks baby and turbulence), it was a really nice trip. My papers for the professional conference went very well, we ate a ton of great food, and had a relaxing time together.

Front:


I finished knitting this little baby dress (the pattern is the Amelie Dress from Natural Knits for Babies and Moms by Louisa Harding). I knit the second largest size, and only modified the colors. I knit the edgings in the contrasting cream, omitted the stripe, and didn't add little flower thingies.

Button detail:


I met up with Cordelia and her lovely little girl Anna in Vancouver, and we had lunch at the market on Granville Island. I picked up these handcarved buttons there at a little shop we stopped at.

Back:


I already started knitting a little stripey crew neck sweater from the same book, also in handspun yarn. This baby sure is the best handspun stash-buster of all time!

Back detail:


The main yarn is a combination of two handdyed rovings, one that Angela on Fair Isle dyed and sent me in a secret pal swap, the other one that I picked up at a local fiber festival. I plied the two singles together, and ended up with a yarn I liked, but had no idea how it would knit up. I think it turned out really well in the finished dress!

Subtle striping, yet random. The small size of the dress makes the stripes a bit wider, too. Yet another reason to keep knitting up the handspun yarn.

13 Comments:

At 11:00 AM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

Cute cute cute!

 
At 11:14 AM, Blogger Trillian42 said...

It's lovely!

That is going to be one well-dressed little girl! :)

 
At 4:26 PM, Blogger Bezzie said...

I dig it! And you're right, small people = small project fun!

 
At 5:59 PM, Blogger Jo said...

Sarah, that is so beautiful. I love the subtle shading of colours.

 
At 4:32 AM, Blogger Lynn said...

That is adorable! She is going to be one well-dressed baby.

 
At 8:43 AM, Anonymous Knittypants said...

What a sweet little dress, I love the subtle striping.

 
At 8:59 AM, Blogger DeltaDawn said...

SO sweet! Jello that you have a little person to knit for... I don't have any that I feel strongly enough to knit for...

 
At 9:16 AM, Blogger Magatha said...

What a lovely wardrobe Telegirl is acquiring! I can see that dress with some little socks and a pair of mary janes chasing after the animals.

 
At 2:36 PM, Blogger Marilyn said...

What a beautiful little dress. What a lucky baby to have such a talented mommy!
Marilyn in Aztec
knittinmar (Ravelry)

 
At 8:51 PM, Blogger spinndiva said...

A-DO-RA-BEL!!!!!


:)

 
At 6:15 AM, Blogger Batty said...

Beautiful. Now that's what I call love! Everything is made by hand, from yarn to finished garment.

 
At 12:39 AM, Blogger Carolyn said...

What a beautiful little dress. Your baby is going to be the coolest dressed baby around with all these wonderful hand spun items you're knitting!

 
At 11:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for share.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home