Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Wool is Warm.

So warm in fact, that the wool is freezing on their backs right now. We got a lot of rain over the weekend. And, they like to stand out in it. So, they get wet. Then, at night it freezes, and in the morning, I have sparkly sheep.


This is Eliza, the Chocolate colored ewe's coat. Amazing that they have all that body heat, and it won't penetrate the wool enough to melt the frost.


They still come up to me with warm noses, and snuzzle my hand for grain, breath clouding in the cold air. This is Marjorie's downy coat. It didn't split into locks like Eliza, but turned into a carpet of ice crystals.


I wonder if they even know they're frosted?


I know where wool comes from, and I like it. I like that it gets wet, frozen, dirty, hay-filled, and petted before I'll spin it.

10 Comments:

At 5:52 PM, Blogger Bezzie said...

They remind me of musher-beards!

 
At 9:25 PM, Blogger Sue, aka seiding said...

Great pics and great post! I love the way you write about your creatures.

 
At 9:41 PM, Blogger Lazuli said...

Wow, what interesting pictures! Fascinating how they all freeze differently.

 
At 4:35 AM, Blogger Zib said...

Kiddo and I are ooing and aahing over the fact that the snow don't melt but the sheepies don't freeze their patooteys off. Awesome pics! :)

 
At 5:54 AM, Blogger Jo said...

Those are amazing pics. I wouldn't have guessed what they were without your narrative.

 
At 7:43 AM, Blogger Carolyn said...

Fabulous photos. I can never work out why the sheep don't take shelter when it rains (or snows), but they seem to prefer to be outside don't they?

I did once see a merino whose fleece was so thick, the hay seeds that got caught in it during the winter grew into grass in the spring!

 
At 8:13 AM, Blogger Porpoise said...

What beautiful pictures! I love the idea that the sheep are nice and toasty inside their ice coats.

 
At 9:49 AM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

Those are wonderful photos. Too cool!

 
At 1:13 PM, Anonymous PeacefulKnitter said...

These photos are beautiful.

 
At 1:51 PM, Blogger Batty said...

Just looking at them makes me shiver! It really is amazing that they don't freeze even though they're all icy. Those are some interesting pictures.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home