Friday, November 09, 2007

Rustic Yarn.

This is why I love handprocessing fleeces, why I love natural colored wool, and why I love handspinning. All summed up in one skein of yarn.


That little bit of black marled with the gray, taupe and creams.


The fuzzy halo.


The little nubbins of an end or tip of a lock here and there.


And how, something with no fancy colors, can have so much depth of texture, and such a range of subtle tones.


This isn't a fleece that makes a super soft sproingy yarn like Cormo, or CVM. This fleece makes a fuzzy, hairy, silky-draping, softly variegated yarn. It likes to be spun to a nice worsted weight, and not perfectly even and smooth. Letting it be spun this way really rewards me with a pretty cool yarn I think.

One you definitely couldn't buy commercially. And the colors, you can only get this from handprocessing, sent to the carding mill, this would come back a uniform light gray.

Now, wouldn't fuzzy cuffs on a nice sweater be kind of cool? Or fuzzy mitten cuffs?

11 Comments:

At 1:27 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

MMM mmm. Gorgeous.

 
At 3:16 PM, Blogger Magatha said...

It looks soft as silk or fur!

 
At 3:48 PM, Blogger aija said...

The halo is beautiful!

 
At 5:01 PM, Blogger LaBean said...

That looks beautiful! I'm about to pick up and spin some natural colored wool myself, just for the sheer naturalness of it..

I say fuzzy mitten cuffs!

 
At 5:12 PM, Blogger Crazy Colorado Knitter said...

I love sheep-colored wool. :)

Which breed was this?

 
At 6:29 PM, Blogger Bezzie said...

I like the halo myself...

 
At 6:21 AM, Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Oooh Fuzzy Mitten cuffs! Or Mrs. Beetons! The Jacob I just spun I let do what it wanted to as I spun it and that was very rewarding to me, and the finished product. Sometimes trying to get a thin yarn isn't always the way to go. I'm learning!

 
At 3:02 PM, Blogger Batty said...

That's just lovely. I like the halo, and the natural color gives it an ever so subtle variegation. Oh, I can't wait to see what it turns into -- fuzzy mitten cuffs sound great.

 
At 1:45 AM, Blogger peri said...

Mmmmm that looks so wonderful and plumpy!

Happy birthday as well - hope you have a wonderful day

{{{hugs}}} & xxxx

 
At 7:47 PM, Blogger spinndiva said...

ooooh I LOVE IT TOOOOOOOO!
I say keep it as a pet!

 
At 9:00 AM, Blogger bradyphrenia said...

very pretty! i love the fuzzy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home