Monday, November 05, 2007

Fleecey Goodness

I just washed and started processing and spinning a fleece over the weekend. A small (3 lb) Border Leicester-Colored Corriedale cross fleece rated as a prime handspinning fleece.


Step 1, wash (in the tub for me, 2 washes in hot water with Dawn, one hot water rinse, spin in the spin cycle, then lay on a towel in the sun to dry).

Optional, add cat to pile of fluff, or alternatively let cat add herself.


Step 2, I started using a Flick Carder or Flicker to comb out locks and spin, put my prepped locks in a basket, went to eat, then came back to notice said cat had removed herself from the fleece, and tried to fit into the little basket of locks.


Step 3, remove cat from lock basket, re-arrange locks, and continue to flick locks.


Step 4, grab a handful and spin!


The single so far. Fuzzy, and hairy, with subtle colored bits that blend in with the creamy gray and natural. Softer than I would have guessed. I think the Corriedale part of the cross makes this a pretty nice yarn, good hand.

I'll keep working on this, I'm really excited to see a whole skein!

13 Comments:

At 2:05 PM, Blogger LaBean said...

Someone looks VERY comfy! heee

The fleece looks good. Have fun prepping and spinning!

 
At 2:51 PM, Blogger Nancy said...

Oooohhhh that fleece looks fabulous! Kitty pretty good, too! Will enjoy watching the yarn develop.

 
At 3:32 PM, Blogger Magatha said...

OK, so I'm guessing that you're getting a clear picture of how our ancestors could eat bacon and pancakes by the truckoad and still stay slim?

Translation: it's a ton of work to be self sufficient. A ton of calorie burning work.

I love the kitty in the wool.

 
At 5:40 PM, Blogger Sue, aka seiding said...

I want to curl up and go to sleep in those locks, too! Cutey-pie!

 
At 6:02 PM, Blogger spinndiva said...

sooooooooooooo pretty!

 
At 8:56 PM, Blogger Jo said...

So this is 95% Corriedale and 5% Kitty?

 
At 9:29 PM, Anonymous Knittypants said...

Awwww...kitty looks so cute all snuggled up. Good to know your feline appreciates your work.

 
At 5:29 AM, Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Hehehehe love how the kitty keeps inserting herself into the softer step of the fiber prep. Better make a kitty pi!

 
At 7:47 AM, Blogger bradyphrenia said...

ooh soft and fuzzy! i hope to someday be able to process my own fleeces. you know, when i have more room in my own house and don't have to trek to the laundromat and stuff. someday.

 
At 1:56 PM, Blogger Bezzie said...

Now I've heard of adding the cat fur in as you knit yarn, but never as you MAKE the yarn ;-)

 
At 6:32 PM, Blogger String Bean said...

My cats have hijacked my fleece as well. I think they actually helped to dry it by keeping it warm.
I'm so jealous! I want to start spinning my fleece, but I'm making myself wait until after Xmas knitting is done. Yours looks lovely!

 
At 6:37 PM, Blogger Batty said...

Cat on fleece is one of the cutest things I've ever seen.

 
At 5:07 AM, Blogger Carolyn said...

No wonder your cat was so keen to snuggle up in the fleece, it looks lovely and soft!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home