Monday, October 01, 2007

Cheese, Glorious Cheese!

So, I did it. I took the plunge and made my first "real" cheese. The kind that needs aging and all. Farmhouse Cheddar, made with raw cow's milk.


I like the color of natural raw milk. So much butterfat and yummy stuff it gets a nice yellow-ish hue. Top pic, no flash, bottom, flash.


This will age for a few months before we can try it. I think that's the worst part, waiting!

We got our first freeze of the season. Sigh. That means time to harvest and process all the rest of the freeze-sensitive plants. Eggplants. Peppers and chilies, tomatoes. Just a sample of what I have to do every night after work this week...





Bezzie, I included extra produce pics just for you :).

14 Comments:

At 10:50 AM, Blogger LaBean said...

MMMMM yummy cheese! Indeed the waiting is the hardest part!! But once it's over you'll enjoy it!

I love the veggie pics!

 
At 11:16 AM, Blogger Guro said...

Cheese.... Yum! And cheddar is one of my faves!

 
At 11:42 AM, Anonymous cathy said...

I'm impressed with your cheese-making skills. It's making me hungry :)

 
At 1:49 PM, Blogger Trillian42 said...

You MADE cheese?

Damn, I'm impressed. That's awesome.

And that's a serious produce haul, there. I was lucky when I managed a couple dozen cherry tomatoes and some mint. :D

 
At 2:14 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

Yum yum yum. I can't believe you made cheese. I'm impressed. Trillian said exactly what I was going to say.

You MADE cheese? I'm impressed!

Lovely harvest there.

 
At 4:24 PM, Blogger Jo said...

I am so impressed that you made cheese! How on earth did you find the time/inclination/recipe to sdo that?!!?

 
At 6:16 PM, Blogger Laura said...

mmm! cheese!

 
At 8:09 PM, Blogger Zonda said...

Yay, fresh produce! CHEESE...that looks so good! Hoping it tastes good too! :)

 
At 10:13 PM, Blogger spinndiva said...

YAYY for home made cheeeeeeese!

 
At 2:26 AM, Blogger Fair isle faerie said...

Its one big pizza in the making !!



So what time is dinner ??


Angela

 
At 2:44 AM, Blogger peri said...

How cool is it that you made cheese? Mega -that's how cool!!

 
At 7:50 AM, Blogger Bezzie said...

Hon, you had me at that wheel of cheese. That's a hobby I could completely take up. Was it difficult to do? Well aside from the waiting?

 
At 12:09 PM, Blogger Magatha said...

My God! It's made of Cheese!
Sorry, I just watched 2001 again on Sunday. ;-)
My grandmother used to make both cheese and butter in the 30s on the farm. I've seen the butter molds but I've never had homemade cheese or butter. It looks really good.
Check out those peppers! Really gorgeous.

 
At 3:44 AM, Blogger Carolyn said...

Ooh cheese!! I never knew you could make hard cheeses like cheddar at home - I love a hunk of good cheddar ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home