Thursday, September 06, 2007

Garden of Fall

Funny, I can tell Fall is coming by a quick walk in the garden. The squashes are the main players now, and the potatoes are slowly yellowing as the onions yet grow.

The weekly pumpkin (compare to this and this and this):


Surprise wheat! I actually have a pretty good stand of this. I mulched the potatoes with straw, straw which obviously had wheat seed in it, since two large patches of my mulched potatoes are now wheat. I might even try harvesting it (or if I'm lazy it will become animal food).


Potimarron squashes are doing well. I've never tried these, but based on the description, I can't wait to roast one and make a hearty curried soup.


This was my first attempt at growing dried beans this year. These are October Beans, a Native American variety. So far, so good. They're growing well, and quite pretty. I only planted a handful since this was my first dried bean attempt, but next year I'll do more.


Look how pretty the actual beans are. I'm thinking next year I'll plant Bolitas, the variety that is native to this area.


I hope my garden updates don't bore you, but I get as much pleasure and peace from my garden, the animals, the mini-farm, as I do from my fiber pursuits. And, when you have produce to process, you don't knit/spin nearly as much!

8 Comments:

At 10:06 AM, Blogger peri said...

Your posts are never boring - I personally enjoy seeing your farmstead grow and prosper as much as I enjoy the knitting and spinning content.

Keep up the good work ;-)

 
At 10:56 AM, Blogger Jo said...

I love the garden updates. What will you do with your pumpkin?

 
At 12:49 PM, Blogger Magatha said...

I for one love the garden posts as much as the fiber posts and come here for both.

Potimarron! I've never seen such a thing.

The beans are wonderful, so big! After cooking a big ol' salmon last night, I can appreciate the value of beans so much more than I do already. (Protein without the gross out factor, to which I'm very susceptible.) I am very partial to several types of beans, pintos being at the top of the list. Let us know how you use them and if they were tasty.

 
At 12:52 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

We had some volunteer wheat, too. I think S tried to do something with it: I'll have to get back to you on how that turned out, though.

Obviously, I'm never one to say a bad thing about garden pictures. ;)

 
At 1:16 PM, Blogger Magatha said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 4:45 PM, Blogger Bezzie said...

Dude, I posted a montage of my potato plant. Your pumpkin is MUCH more exciting!!!

I know exactly what you mean...when I'm pot gardening it's quite soothing. Sadly the only animals I've got are the stray cat or random squirrel. Maybe I could shear a squirrel??? ;-)

 
At 7:11 AM, Blogger Carolyn said...

Not boring at all. Love the photos of your veg, and everything else on the farmstead!

You're right gardening is very soothing - teaches patience too ;)

 
At 9:58 AM, Blogger Zonda said...

I love your gardening posts as well! Keep them up! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home