Tuesday, August 14, 2007

WIPs and What is this here Squash?

This morning, in the garden I wandered with a cup of coffee, light low, and sheep grazing behind me. Sometimes I feel like I get myself in a bit of a funk over various things (life, eh?), and I need to remind myself of all the good. The good is the garden, the animals, the fiber, friends, love, family, light in the morning, and simply, a cup of coffee sometimes.


The garden is lush and green. Mystery squash is almost taking over, you can barely see my basil plants! And the potatoes and onions in the background are tempting me daily to dig a bit, take a peek at what's below ground.

And a sometimes too, with the knitting, I need to go back to basics. Simple.


Let the yarn (Mountain Colors Goat, and Tierra Wools Organic Churro) be simply, knitting, not fancy (lengthwise garter stitch scarf).

And, then things sometimes make you breathe in a little with wonder when you see them for the first time.

Mystery squash! Big, green, striped....solid? Cross pollinated mystery sqaush? Strange heirloom variety unknown to me before (yes, I did randomly plant my garden without plant markers this year, I'm crazy like that)?


Urban Aran (cardigan modifications planned) started too (thanks Magatha for the pattern). Mystery tweedy-heathered dark navy blue wool, bulky weight, gave me gauge the first time, I knew it was meant to be.


I wonder if I should dig out the old cardi that needs seaming first...

nah.


And, whatever she may be, this squash plant is happy. Very happy. Many, many mystery squashes on the vines, now, lets hope they taste good!

4 Comments:

At 11:23 AM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

Um, they look like pumpkins to me.

One year we had volunteer zucchini cross-breeds that were very strange. Tough and woody and not nice at all. You gotta be careful with the squashes: they cross pollinate so easily.

 
At 11:46 AM, Blogger bradyphrenia said...

ooh, that first yarn looks pretty.

i'm currently experiencing New Sweater Madness. i feel the need to have about 8 new sweaters all at once and i have no mojo to actually knit any of them. maybe i should just go shopping. nah.

 
At 5:02 PM, Blogger spinndiva said...

oooh we had that squash growing on the ditch behind the house in NM!!! can't tell you what it is though!
How funny! i am knitting a sweater too! Must be something in the water!;)
sending hugs! Don't let live get you down! Call me instead, I'll cheer you up!

 
At 9:42 AM, Blogger Magatha said...

I immediately thought, "unripe pumpkin". And now that I know what a pumpkin flower looks like thanks to Elizabeth, I see one in that pic and I'm fairly sure mystery squash is a pumpkin. It does look like the zucchini and the pumpkin had a date though. :-)

I get in a funk in the summer. It's so stressful in our business and with the heat. I am very much looking forward to fall. Then I think I can happily count my blessings, without sweating.

I looked at that pattern last night. A lot of people who make Urban Aran are putting a zipper up the front. What are you doing? I think it looks great as a pullover and if I have enough of a certain bulky cashmere/merino, I might make one too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home