Monday, August 13, 2007

Red Diamonds

Aka Scarf #3 from Victorian Lace Today; Actually the real "title" in the book is: "Scarf with the open and solid diamond lace edging from Weldon's, 1904".

I started this in July, and finished it up last week. An enjoyable knit, particularly the borders which I really enjoyed knitting.


The borders are knit with a red handspun yarn (from red Brown Sheep mill ends), and the center is knit with two strands of a commercial (alpaca I think) laceweight held together.

Victorian Lace Today is still my favorite knitting book of the moment, and I think this illustrates why. Beautiful patterns, and one after another after another, and not all triangle shawl patterns like many other lace books.


Yardage requirements from 300 yds to 3000 yds also make it a versatile book (I think I used about 600 total for this one).


Modifications, well, first notice the little "viney" edging on the edges of the center diamond panel? I added that in. In the book, the picture shows a scarf with only 3 border panel repeats. BUT, the written directions indicate to complete 4 repeats of the border panel.

So, I started with 4. Then noticed that the picture only had 3. At this stage I wasn't happy with the fact that there would be huge garter borders on either side of the central diamond pattern, so I added the viney bits to the edge.

I think in the end, with the border of the viney bits, and the 4 repeats of the edging, as well as knitting 8 repeats of the central panel rather than the 6 in the book, it is a lot more like a stole than a scarf. Which suits me just fine!

10 Comments:

At 11:46 AM, Blogger Magatha said...

Well, I absolutely love it. I am not exactly sure what you changed with the viney edging, but I'll go read the pattern and figure it out. If it involves getting rid of a garter stitch edge on a scarf, well I am wholeheartedly for that! I'd rather have a rolled edge than a garter edge, especially in lace weight.
Well done, so beautiful. Another, "I can really wear this" scarf.

 
At 11:50 AM, Blogger peri said...

That is lovely. I adore everything about it - perfick!

 
At 12:50 PM, Blogger Cheesy Knit Wit said...

Squeee!! Beautiful!!

 
At 12:55 PM, Blogger Trillian42 said...

So PRETTY!!!! I love the ever-so-slight color difference between the two yarns - I think it adds a nice "weight" to the edging.

 
At 2:57 PM, Blogger spinndiva said...

I absolutely love the vine bits! that was a stroke of genius to add them in!

 
At 4:45 PM, Blogger Bezzie said...

Gorgeous. I'm really enjoying your handspun and lace kick.
And I love your pictures of them against the deep blue NM sky.

 
At 5:08 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

Stunning! (But you knew that, right?)

 
At 8:20 PM, Blogger Zonda said...

Just beautiful!!

 
At 3:43 AM, Blogger Nell said...

Beautiful! Great colour choice and smart modifications...

 
At 4:04 AM, Blogger glittrgirl said...

That is beautiful! I can't wait to get through my WIPs so I can start knitting some things from this book. Your knits from there are inspirational!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home