Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Yak Lace

My second knitted item from Victorian Lace Today (aka, VLT, or my new favorite knitting book)!


Pattern: "Scarf with the striped border from Weldon's, Volume 5, 1890" (the one on page 80) by Jane Sowerby.

Yarn: Handspun yak-merino-silk blend that I spun from a Paradise Fibers microblend.


Verdict: Love it. The pattern really worked well with this yarn, I think if you used a true laceweight the pattern would be a little on the open side (well for my scarf preferences anyways!).

Quick and easy to knit. I had the border chart and the center stitch pattern memorized in no time, in fact I even knit this around the campfire the night before we picked up the sheepies.


Looking for a first lace project? This might be the easiest lace I've ever knit.

Looking for something to do with a random skein of fingering weight-DK weight handspun? This is the pattern that requires the least yardage in VLT (400 I think, but I only had a skein of 350-ish and my scarf is plenty long).

I'm loving the entries in the Kitty Cat Caption Contest! Keep them coming, I'll pick a winner tomorrow!

8 Comments:

At 7:42 AM, Blogger Magatha said...

I love that pattern. I've been eyeing it myself. You did a fantastic job, I'll bet you'll actually wear that scarf! It just looks like something that would cohabit nicely with a lot of clothes. You know, can go casual or dressy, bilingual scarf? ;-)

 
At 12:11 PM, Blogger spinndiva said...

droooooool.....

 
At 5:39 PM, Blogger Bezzie said...

What's prettier? Your Lacy Scarf or that sunset? Too pretty! (the both of them!)

 
At 8:40 PM, Blogger Nikki said...

oooo, the lace with the sunset behind it, so beautiful

 
At 1:56 AM, Blogger peri said...

very pretty!

 
At 8:00 AM, Blogger Carolyn said...

Very pretty!

It's a great book isn't it? I have found though that it does over-estimate the amount of yarn needed on some of the patterns I've knit. Like you I didn't use the amount of yarn stated in the pattern when I knit that scarf and mine is plenty long enough too.

 
At 10:32 PM, Blogger mikomiao said...

wow i love everything about it. the color, the spinning, the pattern. you inspire me!

 
At 5:58 AM, Blogger Zonda said...

Beautiful Lacy Scarf!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home