Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Strauchy the Cardy

I recently got one of these:


A Strauch Finest drum carder with all the bells and bobs that go with it. With the soon to be abundance of fleecy goodness that owning sheep brings, I wanted to be able to card fibers and make batts and blends.

Fred fleece, dyed with cherry and grape KoolAid, tips flicked, then carded made this:


Cinnamon colored Suri alpaca and taupe colored CVM wool made this:


I haven't spun these yet, but the are very soft, and no nepps! no nepps! I followed the instructions on how to use the carder, and did Flick locks first. The Louet carder I borrowed from a friend, I definitely got nepps.

But, here's a question, what if I can't flick the locks first, meaning I can't determine tip and tail of lock and they poof out and turn pure white and hard to Flick? will this card into a neppy mess of merino? (I have a hogget merino fleece I'm thinking of here...)



OK! Now to nominate some other Rockin' Girl Bloggers!

Spin gets the nod for being awesome, just look at the latest lace shawl she whipped up and designed!

So does Angela for doing the whole sheep raising, farming, growing thing but on a remote island!

And, last but not least, Beanie gets a nod for maintaining her sanity in NYC with 3 kiddos, a wheel, and having a great sense of humor about it all.

6 Comments:

At 10:06 AM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

Gawgeous!

 
At 11:10 AM, Blogger spinndiva said...

Oh Sarah! those batts are to die for!!!!!
oh and...uhm.. I am speechless...you nominated me??????
how.... why.... THANK YOU!
HUGS

 
At 6:05 PM, Blogger Robin said...

Ooooh... Those are lovely batts!

 
At 8:40 AM, Blogger Batty said...

Pretty batts!

Look, there's something shiny!

Why, no, I have no idea where that batt went. Maybe some squirrel took it.

 
At 11:46 AM, Blogger spinndiva said...

LOL batty! I was tempted too!!!

 
At 4:54 PM, Blogger Fair isle faerie said...

*Drooling* !! Im trying to get one shipped to the uk !


Just catching up, havent been arround for a while, bit of a drama involving our 5yr old girl getting a beast of a head wound & having to be air lifted off the island to hospital (she tripped and landed head first on the corner of a wall), but all is well now & ive finaly stopped shaking.

Currently just about to finish shearing, which is good as we are off on hols exploring the rest of shetland for 2 weeks soon, will catch up once we get back & there is more time ! (although i dont think such a thing exists on fair isle, never ever seems to be enough time in any day !)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home