Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Victorian Lace Today, Handspun Coopworth Scarf

"Scarf with the Clarence Border from Weldon's, 1886" from Victorian Lace Today by Jane Sowerby, the pattern is on page 82.

Verdict: love it!


I really love the way the subtle "mermaid" colors that I dyed the yarn play off each other in this pattern, with the slight striping horizontally (in the body) contrasting with the vertical striping (in the borders).


The pattern was easy to knit, and easy to follow. The page and design layout of the book is excellent, and I would recommend this pattern to someone who hasn't yet started to knit lace. The sections in the back explaining the lace techniques are also well done.


I think what I really like most about the book though is that there are patterns that use all yardages of yarn. From 400 yards to 1200 yds +, and several in each yardage range. This is going to make knitting patterns from it a real handspun stash buster for me!


In fact, I've spun enough single skeins of fingering-ish weight yarn that I'm planning a VLT-handspun stash knit summer (I already cast on for another one last night...).

AND! Save the best for last...my Spinning Secret Pal gift! I picked up the box yesterday, and love it.


My secret pal hit the nail on the head with that book. Because all those 1-2 skeins of handspun that aren't laceweight? Perfect!

The little red bag has samples of 3 different new fibers for me to try, and the little red box? A wonderful assortment of vintage buttons (!), a new tape measure (awesome), little sock point protectors, and handmade stitch markers (so pretty)! She also put a lovely bunch of dried herbs in the box that are already in my kitchen.

Thank you SP!

10 Comments:

At 12:33 PM, Blogger String Bean said...

The scarf is gorgeous! I love that color. Hoping to see more lace...

 
At 12:34 PM, Blogger Jo said...

That is such a beautiful colour!

 
At 3:03 PM, Blogger Batty said...

Absolutely love the subtle shading. Beautiful.

 
At 5:05 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

Lovely scarf.

 
At 5:31 PM, Blogger Bezzie said...

That scarf is to die for. Those subtle colors are amazing!

 
At 8:12 PM, Blogger Zonda said...

Beautiful scarf!

 
At 7:47 AM, Blogger spinndiva said...

Love the scarf ! Such a pretty color!
You knit that up so quickly!!!

 
At 6:12 AM, Blogger sgeddes said...

Beautiful scarf. The colors are so pretty.

 
At 11:11 AM, Blogger Rebel said...

Oh wow that mermaid scarf is lovely - the colors are so cool & calming. Very nice - Zuma

 
At 11:47 AM, Blogger Magatha said...

What a beautiful job you've done with that scarf, spin to finish. Just lovely!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home