Friday, June 08, 2007

Silk. Mulberry Sliver gets Spun.

It is very hard to get a good picture of silk singles on the bobbin. A picture that conveys how soft, yet strong, shiny and compact it is. I've been spinning the Mulberry silk top that Angela sent me. I love it. I think silk is going to compete with wool in the favorite fibers category...


I've never spun pure silk before, merino-silk blends, alpaca-silk, batts with bits of silk and other things. But, nothing quite like the pure silk. Oh, and I didn't love the soy silk before, but now, hearing that it is silk-like really makes me wonder what they were thinking...that soy silk was fluff-everywhere, short stapled, not strong, and fuzzy rather than super shiny. Completely different than real silk top.


I'm spinning a fine single, I want a laceweight 2-ply yarn when I'm done. It's taking me forever! What you see on this 4-5 oz. bobbin is 3-4 evenings of spinning, for one bobbin only two thirds full. I'm pretty sure that when I've spun 2 bobbins and plied them I'll have a lot of yardage. This fiber, unlike wool has little to no air trapped in the single and really winds on compactly.


Goal? Finish up 2 bobbins, ply and bring 2 skeins of finished silk to Village Wools with me on the 16th when I head down there to meet Amy and take a No Sheep For You class! One for me...one for...

17 Comments:

At 7:48 AM, Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

I'm so jealous! You get to meet Amy and she gets the other skein! I don't know what I'd want more. To meet her or fondle that silk. gorgeous.

 
At 7:51 AM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

You are giving me ideas! Lovely lovely silk.

We have mulberry trees in our yard. I wonder if we can persuade some silkworms to move in...

 
At 8:45 AM, Anonymous ashley said...

Oh wow... gorgeous...

 
At 10:49 AM, Anonymous cathy said...

Have I said you're my spinning hero before? If I haven't, Sarah, you're my spining hero. That silk is amazing!

 
At 10:51 AM, Blogger Jessica said...

That is absolutely stunning.

 
At 12:26 PM, Blogger bradyphrenia said...

ooh, pretty shiny silk! love the color.

 
At 3:18 PM, Blogger String Bean said...

Yum. :D

 
At 3:46 PM, Blogger Batty said...

It's so shiny. And so even. You really are amazing.

 
At 4:33 PM, Blogger Bezzie said...

See, I'm more jealous Amy gets to meet you. But only because I've met Amy before and I've got some prize winner spun llama in my stash ;-)

 
At 8:03 PM, Blogger Magatha said...

It is hard to photograph shiny silky things. The shiny reflection distorts the color, at least in my shots it does. I've yet to get true color on my sea silk scarf.
I love what you've made there and Amy's lucky to get some.
Have fun at the class in Albuquerque!

 
At 8:17 PM, Blogger mikomiao said...

wow, this is gorgeous! and the spinning is sooooo even! lovely.

 
At 1:01 AM, Blogger peri said...

Beautiful *sigh* just so beautiful.

 
At 6:04 AM, Blogger LaBean said...

This is looking good. One day I shall have the courage to spin my silk hankies.. One day...

 
At 9:30 AM, Blogger Rebel said...

mmmmmm silk! That's gorgeous- zuma

 
At 12:46 AM, Blogger Abigale said...

Mmmmm silk! Yeah, it's amazingly lovely stuff spun up pure - I was just thinking earlier today that I need to spin me some silk... Yours is beautiful and most definitely inspiring! Whoot - totally love it!

 
At 9:19 AM, Blogger Zonda said...

Just gorgeous!! Awesome handspun! Lucky Amy!

 
At 12:43 AM, Blogger Carolyn said...

That's just beautiful. Such pretty colours, and great sheen.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home