Thursday, June 07, 2007

Lynx! (and Jacob yarn sampling)

On our mini-break to Ouray, Silverton and Telluride Tuesday and Wednesday, we happened to see one of the coolest wild animals I've ever seen. A Lynx. Very rare, and reintroduced in the San Juan Mountains. I got a few blurry pics, this is the best of them. I filled out the official sighting form too.


I've spent a lot of time outdoors in the mountains, deserts, remote areas for work and recreation and I've seen only 2 bobcats, and the back half of a mountain lion once in all that time. Big cats are elusive, so this was pretty cool.

Now, onto the spin!


Jacob wool, gray, dark gray and white, carded batts, a sample that Mary sent to me was used to make this small skein.

Now, I had spun a small sample of brown Jacob before that came as part of the Woodland Woolworks. That Jacob was fairly coarse, and it wouldn't have been my first choice for a fleece.


This Jacob, however has led me to think that there is quite a degree of variability in Jacob fleeces out there, and if I could find one like this, I'd be quite happy to spin it!


Soft, similar to Corriedale in crimp and sproinginess, I'd definitely wear a sweater made from this fleece! And, I love the different colors. The plain brown, not so much considering I have lovely moorit Shetland and CVM/Corridale cross wool that was so much softer.

But, this fleece! Oh, now I'll be on the look out for more Jacob at wool festivals in the future. Guess it just goes to show, you really need to touch and sample and see what you're buying first when it comes to fleeces if you're looking for the real deal and not just a good deal. Or...at least ask for samples to be sent to you!

Labels:

7 Comments:

At 12:20 PM, Anonymous cathy said...

Wow- It must have been amazing to see that lynx!

 
At 3:14 PM, Blogger Magatha said...

Wild cat sighting! That is unusual.

Pretty spin!

 
At 4:38 PM, Blogger Bezzie said...

WOW! A lynx, color me jealous! Too freaking cool!!!

 
At 6:51 PM, Blogger Batty said...

I've never seen one in the wild. This is so cool!

Your spinning is perfect, as always. If covetable isn't a word, it needs to be.

 
At 6:09 AM, Blogger Cheesy Knit Wit said...

We used to see bob cats all the time when we had our 80 acres in the Ozark Hills. Thats a cool picture!

 
At 10:36 AM, Blogger spinndiva said...

I am absolutely totally and utterly in love with this yarn!!!!

 
At 12:41 AM, Blogger Carolyn said...

How fantastic to have seen a lynx!

The Jacob yarn is lovely. We have a small flock but I've never had their fleece spun into yarn.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home