Monday, May 14, 2007

Microfarm Monday

We had a very busy, and productive weekend! Worked outside the whole time, great Spring weather made it nice.

We started out on Friday night after work digging about 50 holes for posts, trees, grapevines, and the chicken coop. An mechanized augur is a good thing!

Then, Saturday morning Nate went into town to return the augur and I get a call from him "Can I buy some chickens?". Me: "Sure, let me think of how to house them....".

So, he returned home with groceries, supplies for the weekend, and 12 of these little guys:


Month old baby chickens. Four varities, and big enough that we don't have to brood them, just provide shelter, a safe place, food and water for a month or so while we build the big chicken coop.


Wilco and Dory seriously think this is Pet TV.


After the chicken housing, we worked on the garden area. Rototilling, mowing, weeding, and prepping for planting. This little area above is about 1/6th of the garden space, and the only area that I actually prepped enough to plant yesterday. The rest will get worked on after work this week.


Above is the fencing for the orchard...the little pin flags mark the holes we dug for the trees we ordered which still haven't shipped yet (must call and check...). Nate built the fence yesterday so we can keep the critters out til the trees are big enough.

Whew! Busy weekend. I think I knit one heel flap and turned one heel, and spun about a handful of Coopworth. The rest was all outside!

Labels:

9 Comments:

At 9:00 AM, Blogger Magatha said...

The microfarm is shaping up nicely. I love the pic with the "pet tv". Never ending source of entertainment, birds are for cats and dogs.

(Now I've got two blogstalking targets with chickens!)

 
At 9:39 AM, Blogger Cheesy Knit Wit said...

Awesome! Wilco and Dory's Animal TV!

My husband and I have been talking about raising chickens to be more self sufficient!

 
At 9:40 AM, Blogger Cheesy Knit Wit said...

Hee hee....my post. I mean we are raising chickens for Doug and I to become more self sufficient, not the chickens!

 
At 2:50 PM, Blogger Batty said...

Your microfarm is coming along very nicely!

 
At 4:23 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

Man, where do you guys get your energy?

 
At 7:02 PM, Blogger mikomiao said...

yay microfarm! the garden looks like a tilled plot looks great, and baby chickens!

 
At 8:27 PM, Blogger Zonda said...

Cool chickens! My hubby wants to get some when we retire to a nicer place to live! I love the photo with the dogs watching them!

Your little Microfarm is coming together! I enjoy seeing all that you do with it! :)

 
At 12:23 AM, Blogger Carolyn said...

You have been busy! Your little chicks are so cute - hours of fun ahead of you with them!

 
At 8:34 PM, Blogger Ceallach said...

Jealous!

I would love to have sheepies and goaties and chickies....but alas only one domesticated livestock type animal is allowed in city limits....

But DD liked the buns at the fair last week. Wonder if'n I can renovate that buns hutch in the back?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home