Wednesday, May 09, 2007

CA Red for Laura

Laura asked if I had any experience with CA Red sheep or wool, and while I have some friends down the road who run this ranch I hadn't actually spun up the small sample of wool I had.

The Sheep (From Shear Perfection Ranch down the road):



The Roving:


Funny, I was actually at that ranch this morning on the way to work and watched a sheep get sheared....


So, I pulled out the roving over the weekend and spun it for Laura to see! This roving is not from Lyn and Jerry's CA Red flock, but from Moab, I bought it at the Farmington Fiber Festival last fall.


You can see that the sheep are red-faced, and red-legged, but overall a nice creamy color. Then, up close, the wool has darker cinnamon colored hairs in with the wool.


Not really red, but a nice pleasing creamy color with reddish hairs. Soft? About as soft as a coarse Shetland, a medium wool. Of course, this is just my sample, I'm sure there are softer samples, redder samples.

And....Thank you String!

These came a while ago, but I'm bad at putting up pics sometimes. Socks! For me! And for a little one. The little green ones I put away for now, but one day....

Labels:

7 Comments:

At 12:59 PM, Blogger Laura said...

wow it's very pretty! I like how it's sort of mottled with dark creamy splotches. Thanks for doing that for me. I know that spinning is a hardship for you ;)

 
At 12:53 AM, Blogger Carolyn said...

It is pretty. The yarn you spin always looks so lovely and even, you're obviously a natural!

 
At 5:30 AM, Blogger raeknits!_and_spins said...

I wish I could spend one evening watching you spin. I KNOW I'd learn a thing or three...

 
At 12:19 PM, Blogger spinndiva said...

Love the nekkid sheepbut!
Lovely yarn!

 
At 6:12 PM, Blogger Magatha said...

Abra ca dabra! Pretty wool!

Nice gift socks too.

 
At 5:57 PM, Blogger LaBean said...

OOH the CA Red looks so floofy, it reminds me of Finn. I love that stuff. But you knew that ;) It spun up real nice.

 
At 4:01 AM, Blogger Batty said...

Love the sheep to yarn pictures. Just love them. Now I want sheep! And a chance to watch you spin, just like rae said.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home