Monday, March 12, 2007

Greenhouse Found

I think I'm going to start a new blog thing here. Homegrown Mondays. Either gardening, sheep farming, or anything homestead-type related, since I normally work on those projects over the weekend. If people are interested in joining me, I'll start a blog ring!

So, this past weekend, we built our greenhouse. Greenhouse found, as it was largely created with materials found. The core of the structure is the a-frame created by an old swingset frame we found on the property. The front legs are bolted to some bases that were also found. The t-posts, found. We did have to buy the poly film, and we ordered the good kind from FarmTek that supposedly lasts 4 years. We also bought duct tape, lots of it, and insulation panels.


It's about 8 x 8 feet, a pretty good size. Definitely big enough for me to do all my seed starts for the garden, and even have a few nice early and late season treats.


The inside is filled with 9 large plastic tubs which hold water. The water will warm up during the day and act as radiant heat at night, as well as providing a convient shelf for plants, and an immediate source of water for watering.


The strawberry plants moved in for a jump start...


And I started a few trays of seeds!

12 Comments:

At 11:56 AM, Anonymous cathy said...

Nice job, building your greenhouse from found objects.
I'm interested in reading about your homesteading projects, definitely. But I don't think I'll be doing any of my own. All that communal rental city living.

 
At 1:06 PM, Blogger Bezzie said...

Ooo! I don't know if it's just this time of year but I went out this weekend and bought a bunch of pots and have been collecting little bits of trash (yogurt cups, etc) to start my seeds this year too!

Not homesteading by any stretch of the imagination-- more like urban greenthumbing.

I always tune in anyway, but now I'll look forward to Homegrown Mondays!

 
At 2:34 PM, Blogger Helen said...

way cool! but will you have to worry about mosquitos and other things with your standing water?

 
At 4:33 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

Cool. My husband will be interested to see this post. I think after I get a new kitchen, we'll have to get him a greenhouse. If I start scavenging now, we'll be ready to build by next season.

 
At 9:21 PM, Blogger Zonda said...

Oh cool!! I'll stop by for great ideas and wishing I had a green thumb!

Excellent looking greenhouse there too!

 
At 12:57 AM, Blogger Carolyn said...

You did a great job creating your greenhouse from "stuff".

I miss my greenhouse. I used to spend hours pottering away. It's so great to be able to get plants off to an early start. Like your idea with the water butts too!

 
At 1:04 PM, Anonymous knittingkitty said...

I love the greenhouse. Just one quick question. How do you get in and out?
A Homegrown Monday ring sounds cool. Maybe I could join with my P Patch gardening exploits.

 
At 5:49 AM, Blogger Batty said...

Love the greenhouse. I have tremendous respect for people who don't have the Black Thumb. Plants wither and die at my approach, it's sad.

 
At 4:54 PM, Blogger Magatha said...

I just smile all over when I think of your life and how it's going and growing. It is all so wonderful. The greenhouse is cool. I wish for one someday. It could help me resurrect my succulents hobby that died when they all did, from the dry heat of summers here. I could keep a constant temp and humidity in a greenhouse.

 
At 3:40 AM, Blogger Faerynuff said...

That is fantastic, A wonderful idea.

I need to get started with my seeds but seeing as we are predicted snow and ice next week, I think I'll wait!

I love your way of life.

 
At 6:53 AM, Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Ok that is too freakin' cool. From the outside you wouldn't know it was so big and could house so much inside! Neat! I want one!

 
At 12:58 PM, Blogger Jessica said...

Too cool! Congrats and best of luck with your greenhouse. :D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home