Friday, March 09, 2007

First Handspun Pron

Well, since I haven't finished any new yarns this week, I thought I'd dredge up something from the past. My first handspun. Technically this pinky-purple and blue here are my second and third handspun, my first never got photographed, but is represented by the gray stripe in this scarf.


I had learned to spin before I learned to knit actually. The gray, my friend Mary taught me to spin with; I had to take a work trip a few years ago and we visited her. Once I had made yarn, I figured I needed to find something to do with it...enter knitting!


Then I got caught up in learning to knit, and forgot about spinning for a while; about a year I think. One day, I remembered, and ordered this purpley-pink Ashford merino top from Susan's Spinning Bunny. Spun it on the drop spindle I had been given by Mary.


Loved it! Ordered more....and a couple more spindles....this blue is the third attempt I made at spinning.


After knitting the pink into a neckwarmer, and the blue into VooDoo wristwarmers, I was fully hooked on spinning. I started researching wheels, and about a month later, Nate surprised me with my Fricke for our anniversary!


So, that's my spin-knit story. I love how I can see the overtwisted, wormy bits in the yarn, the uneveness, and somehow, just a little bit, I think I can see myself in there too.



3 Comments:

At 3:52 PM, Blogger knitten kitten said...

I think it's rather beautiful. I'm looking forward to calling myself a spinner, soon I hope.

 
At 8:04 PM, Blogger spinndiva said...

aaaawwwwwwww YARNBABIES!!!
I don't even know where my first attempts at greatness ended up ...
I love yours though.. mine were not nearly as nice!

 
At 8:26 PM, Blogger Zonda said...

Awww! Thanks for sharing your first handspun!! Nice! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home