Wednesday, February 21, 2007

British Wools #4-6

Cotswold, Gotland Lamb, and Kerry Hill.

All are fuzzy, the Cotwold and the Kerry Hill are Navajo plied, the Gotland a 2-ply.

Unfortunatley the Cotswold was in pretty bad condition. I think I wasted over half of it when I combed it due to the lanolin left in it, and how sticky it was. The Gotland, also a luster longwool, I bet I only lost 10%; it was in much better shape!

The Kerry Hill (above and below). Flicked out really nice and easy, a great spin, and a lovely yarn. A nice medium wool, I like this more than the Portland, and WAY more than that coloured Ryeland.

The Gotland Lamb (below) this is apparently the wool they used to make the cloaks for the Lord of the Rings movies! A long curly wool. Very soft. Like the softest kid mohair, maybe because it's Lamb wool? Fun to spin, fun, fuzzy yarn, I really love the gray too.


Cotswold. I like the luster longwools. I would have liked this, if the fleece had been better prepped. I hated combing it out, and spinning it. Too sticky. Too matted. At least the yarn is nice!


I think all the pics are clickable for more detail. Now, which Brit wools to spin next!

6 Comments:

At 10:46 AM, Blogger Carolyn said...

I love the colours of the Gotland. I guess it must be the fact that it's lambs' wool that makes it so soft. Shame about the cotswold fleece - I wonder if that's typical of the breed or you just got unlucky. Turned out well in the end though ;)

 
At 2:30 PM, Anonymous the kitchener bitch said...

beautiful! That Gotland was my favorite so far...

 
At 8:26 AM, Anonymous angela said...

Why yes, I am wondering where the names of these fibers are coming from. Are they from the type of sheep? I do love the Kerry Hill. It even looks soft in the picture! Now I want to spin! They all look lovely!

 
At 8:34 AM, Blogger spinndiva said...

drooooooool
need...to...get...more...fiber

 
At 1:34 PM, Anonymous cathy said...

Gotland is nice.
Do you have a Wensleydale? I'd spin that next. It's a nice longwool.

 
At 7:31 AM, Blogger Batty said...

Fiber! Look at that! I'm drooling!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home