Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Black and White

Two of the British rare breed wools sampled and spun.

The white is Portland, and the black is Coloured Ryeland.


Both are Navajo plied.


So, the verdict?

I liked the Portland, the Ryeland was kind of a pain in the butt to flick card, spin, and ply.


The Portland is a medium wool, what would be a good all around wool I think, though not for next to the skin wearing. The Ryeland, a medium-coarse, not as soft as the Portland.
Portland had 2 inch long staple, good crimp, and spun nicely into an even, lofty single. The Ryeland, VERY short, 1 inch staple, which made spinning it and prepping it a PITA. It also didn't want to be spun into a nice even single, and there were definitely more fluffy chunks in the final single.
I think I'd use Portland again. I'd pass on the Ryeland. Even though in the end, I love the color.
(Note to Angela, who asked in a comment if I ever went to Knit Night at Yarn in Durango, not yet...if I head up to Durango during the week, I usually head to FiberWorks on Tuesday evenings for Spin/Community Night. Do you go to Knit Night at Yarn?)




Labels:

6 Comments:

At 1:16 PM, Blogger LaBean said...

The color of the Ryeland is very striking. I think they'd look good combined in a project. The Portland is so soft looking, too bad it's not for 'inner' wear.

 
At 2:56 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

They make great pr0n, though! Maybe you can make a fair isle hat out of them and knit a lightweight lining from something nice for next-to-skin wear?

 
At 7:27 PM, Blogger Zonda said...

Lovely! :)

 
At 10:46 AM, Blogger String Bean said...

They look great, just a little scratchy. I'm with Elizabeth. A hat with lining.

 
At 7:48 AM, Anonymous dan said...

Despite you not liking the ryeland, you did a great job in matching the two yarn structures. I am intrigued by the portland, and am curious how it would feel and handle being spun from combed top (it has a really nice color to it -- so does the ryeland, for that matter).

*heads off to google portland fiber*

 
At 10:36 AM, Blogger Carolyn said...

I agree with labean, the two would look good together. A hat seems a very good suggestion if the yarn isn't that soft.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home