Monday, January 22, 2007

Winter's Ice

I love Winter [and Spring, Summer, and Fall]. I like rain, frost, sun, green, gray and blue. I either love the cold, the hot, the leaves, the dew that instant , or I long for the next season to start. Living with a little river is experiencing the seasons in a new way. A way I never have. I already long for the green buds to appear on the willows, as I see my breath freeze in the air while ice crunches beneath my feet. The river has a life of it's own.

And now the river is cold. Cold and icy. White-blue. Ice comes in many forms...cloudy, clear, crystalline and cracked. Solid enough to hold me in parts, in others weak so that I hear it beneath the snow. Not loud, not soft. A sound that is only one thing. How many sounds does water make?


Even a little river like the La Plata is beautiful, calming, and alive.

And yet....I search for the the green underneath the snow.


10 Comments:

At 1:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Sarah !!!


Its your very own personal stalker ummm Knitty SP8 here to wish you a very happy day & to say that im really looking forward to spoiling you and those cute kitty cats !

Hugs

Your Sp

 
At 2:25 PM, Blogger Lazuli said...

What a beautiful post! The pictures and the words all flow so well together!

 
At 2:52 PM, Blogger Bezzie said...

Love the pics! I can imagine the sound of ice like you describe and it kind of makes me twitchy.

 
At 3:36 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

You live in such a beautiful place!

 
At 6:04 PM, Blogger Zonda said...

Those are gorgeous pictures!! How peaceful it must be! Thank you so much for those! :)

 
At 9:27 PM, Blogger String Bean said...

Molly looks thrilled to be outside.

I'll be living near a river soon (the Skagit River, to be exact) - right next to it, too. It never freezes, though, because it's too damn fast. I will get to watch the salmon run in the fall which is a good trade-off, I think.

 
At 9:17 AM, Blogger Carolyn said...

What beautiful photos! I know what you mean about the sound of ice - sometimes it's almost like that "nails down a blackboard" sound that sets my teeth on edge.

I love the beauty of winter, but I'm a hot weather gal really!

 
At 2:13 PM, Anonymous the kitchener bitch said...

truly lovely pics! what an extraordinary place you live in. Around here the only thing to see is dirt Slurpee in the streets.

 
At 7:24 AM, Blogger Batty said...

Pretty pictures!

 
At 8:26 AM, Blogger Fee said...

Thats awfy pretty! I wish we had snow :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home