Thursday, January 25, 2007

Quiviut Spun

I finished the quiviut yarn for Laura! I think I started this way back in the summer. Laura bought 3 oz. of raw fiber in Alaska, and being a knitter and not a spinner, asked if I would spin it for her. I agreed, and subsequently took forever to spin her yarn!

It took me so long mostly because see the bowl of debris above? Well, each little clump of fiber produced at least that much guard hair and bits'o'junk. Every hair and bit had to be hand picked from the clump of fiber. And this, is what took forever. Spinners, if you want to spin quiviut, make sure you get the kind that is prepped for you! Even if it costs twice as much, believe me, what you save in time and labor will be worth it!

The actual spinning didn't take that long compared to the picking/cleaning of the fiber.



Spun yarn above taking it's first bath. Whew! That was some yarn in need of a bath! Yarn got three baths before being all clean and fuzzy.

Yarn drip drying in the shower.


At this point, I'm petting it, going in every half hour to see if it's getting fuzzier and softer as it dries...it is!

Stay tuned for Quiviut Fiber Friday tomorrow with closeups of the finished, fuzzy, fluffy yarn!



7 Comments:

At 10:50 AM, Blogger Laura said...

YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAY!

/me hugs Sarah

 
At 10:51 AM, Blogger LaBean said...

I'm jealous. Not because you got to spin KeeVeeUt.. But because you have a stopper in your sink.. and water hot enough from the tap to wash yarn.. I always have to boil water :)) WEEEEEEEEEEEE It looks delicious!!

 
At 12:20 PM, Blogger Batty said...

I've never actually spun quiviut before, but I hear that it is even softer than merino. That's almost better than I can imagine!

 
At 1:55 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

Wow, I guess musk oxen aren't very clean animals, huh?

Can't wait to see the pron.

 
At 3:44 PM, Blogger Bezzie said...

Well now we know why it costs $70 for an ounce! Hee hee!

That could possibly be gunk from my hometown in that bowl there.

 
At 5:53 PM, Blogger Abigale said...

Whoo - it's done! I've never spun quiviut (yet) either - definitely taking your suggestion on board to use prepped stuff, wow - that looks like a lot of work - I'd probably never finish it ;-)

Beautiful though, and a great experience for you, I'm sure.

Abi

 
At 7:06 AM, Blogger sgeddes said...

looks like all your hardword and effort paid off. The results look great.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home