Friday, January 05, 2007

Fiber Friday Debouillet Sampling

Handspun sample of Debouillet fleece....purples, pinks, reds...I have been dreaming about Debouillet for a while. It's a breed of sheep which originated in New Mexico in 1920 from Delaine-Merino and Rambouillet crosses. Having no sucess of my own in attaining the elusive Deb., CK from Knittychat sent me a sample of a fleece she bought on ebay.


The wool is extremely soft and fine, longer stapled than merino, and somewhat springier. However, I'm now skeptical about buying fleeces on ebay, because this fleece had something quite unexpected in amongst the fluff. Cactus! Ouch! I only had a tiny sample. And just flicking out that small sample left my fingers and lap with prickly spines. Not good. Another reason to sample a fleece before buying!



I did however, get to play with the Debouillet. And I love it. If I can ever find a nice fleece for sale, or potentially breeding stock, it would be a serious score.

"The stable length of the fleece is from three to five inches (7.5-12.5 cm) with a numerical count of 62 to 80 which is 18.5 to 23.5 microns." Soft...and nice.

Now to find some without the cactus....

11 Comments:

At 9:38 AM, Blogger Bezzie said...

Hm, it's springier than merino, but how does it do in the sproingy department?

The cactus actually kind of makes me smile-I think it's kind of cool. (Of course I'm not the one getting my fingers poked!)

 
At 10:46 AM, Anonymous MJ said...

It's gorrrgeous!

 
At 10:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's way sproingy....

Sarah, I have been combing it and getting good results that way....of course, it needs to be combed outside, don't want those thorns in the house. The combing gets most of it out. Combs are fabulous!

We did know at the time we got the fleece that it was probably going to have cactus in it, as we had asked a lot of questions, but so wanted this fleece because of the breed.

 
At 10:52 AM, Blogger Zonda said...

Yikes!! That was a surprise I bet! It is lovely though! :)

 
At 12:52 PM, Anonymous cathy said...

Too bad about the cactus. Fleece is definitely something I'd want to inspect before buying.

You did a lovely job spinning, as always.

 
At 1:04 PM, Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Oooh that's pretty! But cactus? How the?...

 
At 3:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that rosy color. It looks luscious. But thorns? Sounds like the beginnings of a modern fairy tale with a twist...

 
At 11:51 AM, Blogger Jessica said...

That is some yummy looking yarn. Very nice of someone to send you a sample. :)
Ixna on the cacta though.

 
At 2:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The color is gorgeous.

Too bad about the sticky, prickly thorns!

 
At 10:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

beautiful colours and OUCH!!!

 
At 2:11 PM, Blogger String Bean said...

It looks Very springy. The color reminds me of either cranberry sauce or the begonias I planted last year.
Cactus? Was it prickly pear? Or saguaro? :D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home