Monday, January 29, 2007

Alpaca!

Alpaca Roving I bought from Deer Valley Alpacas at Taos WoolFest. This is by far the nicest alpaca I've spun or touched to date. DVA apparently did a lot of research to provide the best fiber processing for fine fibers availible. I think it worked!


Dory likes it too....I bought 5 oz of roving, I was seduced by the natural colors, and that it hadn't been blended too much, so there were lovely sections of black, cinnamon, and heathered caramel left intact, and I wanted to see what this would end up looking like in the finished yarn.

Result? I love it. The processing made a deliciously soft yarn with very little guard hair, and lots of soft fluff. I love the subtle colors.


The roving spun effortlessly even too. I spun this in less than 24 hours start to finish, including sleep, and life and everything...


Now I wish I bought more....
Yarn Specs:
100% Alpaca
2-ply (Z-spun, S-plied)
(I forgot the yardage and weight specs...left them on a piece of paper in the fiber explosion room, I'll edit and post this tomorrow!)


13 Comments:

At 12:27 PM, Blogger Abigale said...

My first thought was - I want some of that! It's just beautiful fiber! The yarn is gorgeous, and the subtle color changes - oh -just to die for - really really beautiful.

 
At 12:28 PM, Blogger String Bean said...

Ooh, yummy! That stuff looks great! I thought about buying some alpaca at the Madrona Fiber Festival, but ran out of cash. I love that your kitty loves the alpaca.

 
At 12:41 PM, Blogger Cheesy Knit Wit said...

Beautiful Sarah! Just like everything else you spin!

 
At 12:56 PM, Anonymous cathy said...

Your cat, rug and alpaca all blend together in that picture...it took me a few seconds to figure out where one left off and another began :)
Lovely spinning. I'm curious about what kind of wraps per inch you get, especially on the qiviut (which is just awesome).

 
At 1:09 PM, Blogger Bezzie said...

Ok, so I'm staring at that first picture wondering what's roving and what's cat! Glad to see I wasn't the only one to take a minute to process it!

Very beautiful. I'm with you, I like the natural colors on alpaca.

 
At 1:28 PM, Blogger Trillian42 said...

Gorgeous! What great colors!

 
At 2:38 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

Lovely! And look at that kitty. Bliss.

 
At 2:50 PM, Blogger D said...

Wow! The combination of colors and tones is just lovely! Caramel, toffee...yum! Love the way you spin :)

 
At 2:16 AM, Blogger Carolyn said...

That looks beautifully soft. And I love the mix of colours - cinammon, caramel - yum!

 
At 10:20 AM, Blogger Magatha said...

Camouflage Cat!

What a gorgeous color of caramel you whipped up!

 
At 8:20 PM, Blogger Zonda said...

I agree on the Camo kittie...it took me a minute!! That is gorgeous!! So soft and chocolately looking! :)

 
At 6:23 PM, Blogger ~Sherie~ said...

Oh my, that is gorgeous! The colors are wonderful. I've never tried spinning alpaca, but this yarn really makes me want to.

 
At 6:58 PM, Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Oh wow. That's some beautiful stuff!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home