Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Handspun: CVM/Corriedale Cross "Jane"

On a still autumn morning, the grass was yet green.


Leaves of a Willow were yellow, Cottonwood--brown.


The light, just right, low and long.


The first big skein of yarn I have spun, from fleece I have washed, dried, and combed myself. I love the subtle shades of caramel, beige, tan and honey. The advantage of combing it yourself as opposed to getting it processed into roving is you can maintain these distinct color variations.


CVM/Corriedale cross is a nice fiber. On the finest side of medium or the coarser side of fine. Nice 4 inch or so staple length, good crimp and lock structure. Easy to handcomb. Lovely soft yarn I could wear next to my skin.



Specs:
103 g / 3.6 oz
346 m / 378 yds
15 WPI
2-ply, Z-spun S-plied.
light DK weight yarn.

I'm really looking forward to finishing up this fleece and having a good useable amount of yarn for a large project!

12 Comments:

At 10:01 AM, Blogger Valerie said...

That is so pretty! Are you going to process the rest yourself?

 
At 10:08 AM, Blogger Karen said...

I'm very impressed! Whatcha gonna do with it?

 
At 10:12 AM, Blogger D said...

Love it Sarah :) I'm staying tuned in for more!

 
At 12:19 PM, Blogger DeltaDawn said...

FANTASTIC! Amazing! Gorgeous to boot! Now that I actually have a wheel, I'm even MORE impressed!

 
At 12:46 PM, Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

wow. Sarah, you're amazing. But you know that already don'tcha?

 
At 12:53 PM, Blogger Bezzie said...

Are you going to be able to stop spinning long enough to cast on once you have enough? ;-)

Lovely stuff!

 
At 1:37 PM, Blogger Duchess said...

I love the color and your spinning is so even. GREAT JOB!!!

You may have inspired me- maybe. I'm sure I am patient enough to wash, comb, spin, knit.

Again, very impressive.

 
At 3:09 PM, Blogger Magatha said...

Wow, what excellent photos and what wonderful yarn. I really love the one with the leaf.

 
At 6:29 AM, Blogger Carolyn said...

It's lovely. I'm a big fan of that kind of natural caramel/ milk chocolate colouring - wonderful!

So, what are you going to do with it??

 
At 12:34 PM, Blogger mikomiao said...

utterly gorgeous sarah! i love the colors and the spinning is so even. really inspiring.

 
At 8:48 PM, Anonymous the kitchener bitch (purrl) said...

That is spectacular. I just love the color and the yarn looks great - you should keep going!

 
At 7:52 AM, Anonymous cathy said...

gorgeous yarn! Did you find the handcombing to be worth it? Are you going to finish off the rest of the fiber yourself?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home