Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Best of the Southwest Fiber Festival

Well, as always I didn't take hardly any, or very good, pictures of the fiber festival. But, this is what I have!


Pam Dyer's booth; she's the founder of our local spinning guild and raises Churro sheep and herbs about 9 miles up the road from me. She specializes in Australian locker hooking, something I'd also like to try one day! And spinning...of course...
(That's my wheel in the foreground next to my new red knitting bag...and her Lendrum on the right.)


We kinda sat together for a while spinning, and there were four Navajo women who hung out with us. This woman was weaving a ceremonial sash on a homemade loom (very cool), one woman was carding Churro into rolags, and another was spinning on a Navajo spindle (you can see them in the pic below).


Part of our group...I'm in the back there, knitting some socks.

Overall, it was small, but nice. I watched the fleece judging and learned quite a bit (especially about Churro fleece, and wool/fleeces for weaving, bought a bunch of new wool types from a woman out of Moab who had interesting breeds at good prices, and enjoyed hanging out with the other spinners from the guild.

I'll go back!

4 Comments:

At 9:09 AM, Anonymous Nancy J said...

It's been 22 years since my husband was transferred from KRTZ and we left the Cortez/Western Slope area. Wish I could have joined you for the festival! (Now in PA, it's a lottle far...) We do miss SW CO, though.

 
At 10:20 AM, Blogger Ceallach said...

Sarah, cool!

I would so love to see how the women use the Navaho spindle....I have one that I am not sure how to use, and would love to learn from the source as it were.

 
At 7:55 PM, Blogger spinndiva said...

glad you had a great time! Sorry I could not come... there is always next year! ;)

 
At 8:07 PM, Blogger Zonda said...

Looks like it was a good time!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home