Monday, October 23, 2006

A Tale of Two Fleeces

At Taos wool festival, two fleeces came home.

CIMG3368

Chocolate Corriedale and CVM cross lamb fleece,

CIMG3374

And taupe, tan, cream CVM fleece.

CIMG3372

The chocolate brown Corrie/CVM fleece has a wonderful medium crimp, soft hand, and wonderful color. The CVM fleece has a nice fine, tight crimp, long staple, and is very very soft. Next to the skin soft.

CIMG3375

Yesterday in between working on Laura's quiviut, I washed samples of both fleeces, waited for them to dry, combed them and spun them into two ply mini-skeins to see what the yarn would be like.

CIMG3391

The brown Corrie/CVM cross likes to be spun a little thicker, and will make a lovely jacket/cardigan. The taupe/cream/tan CVM will make at least one nice sweater plus more! It likes to be a sport weight yarn. The Corrie/CVM likes to be more on the worsted side.

CIMG3380

They both combed out really nice. Easy to comb. Hardly any waste. Hardly any plant bits or bobs.

I'm thinking I'll send the brown one off to the processor, and save the CVM tan/taupe/cream one for hand processing. I really like the heathered look of the handcombed locks and isolated colors in it.

Oooh, both nice fleeces though. Real nice.

9 Comments:

At 1:09 PM, Blogger Valerie said...

Those fleeces are gorgeous! I can't wait to see what you knit from them! Are you going to overdye them?

 
At 2:06 PM, Blogger spinndiva said...

love the chocolate brown... I love chocolate.... how could I not love this yarn?? ; )

 
At 7:08 PM, Anonymous rose said...

Gorgeous fleeces! I love the brown. It has such richness.

 
At 7:39 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

Time to change your blog name to TeleSpinner. That seems to be what calls you most these days!

And beautifully, too.

 
At 11:22 AM, Blogger Carolyn said...

Mmm, they are both nice. I do love natural chocolate coloured fleeces. Looks like it's going to make wonderful yarn.

 
At 1:40 PM, Blogger Bezzie said...

I'm suddenly hungry for chocolate.

So pretty! Can't wait to see them completely spun and knitted up.

 
At 11:45 PM, Anonymous LaBean said...

I probably don't know what I'm talking about but wooo that's a lot of crimp in there. the sample skeins look really good!! Chocolate brown fleeces are the best!!! (hehe I wonder what made me say that..)

 
At 6:19 AM, Blogger merlinthecat said...

ohh so nice, I'm going to have to try a CMV next spring!!! It's just too cold here to even thing about buying raw fleece, I hate cleaning them inside....

 
At 7:18 AM, Anonymous the kitchener bitch said...

YUM! I can't wait to try those! The color of that Corrie/CVM cross is really something. Nice score.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home