Thursday, October 05, 2006

R is for Remember that Snake?

The snake in my stove?

Well, now we have the Woodpecker in the Bookshelf.

No, I'm not kidding.

Evidence part 1:



I came home yesterday evening, and as normal, checked on the pets, the house, where everyone was. And noticed that feather above (resting on some handspun alpaca, but that's another story) alone, on the stairs.

Of course, the lone Northern Red-shafted Flicker feather on the stairs is suspicious when you have cats and a doggie door. And yes, I knew it was a flicker feather from the moment I saw it. A flicker is a type of woodpecker for those of you who aren't into birds....

So...walked the whole house. No other sign of feathers or birds. Then, walking back around, happened to notice Clyde and Dory sitting in front of the tall bookcase staring intently at the crack between the bookcase and the wall.

Damn.

Move the cats.

Get the flashlight.

Yep.

Woodpecker.



I know it's a crap photo. But the poor guy was uninjured (apart from the loss of the single feather) and I didn't want to spook him (even more) by taking photos or messing around. But, it remains as evidence that yes, I had a woodpecker in my house.

So...tried to get him a few times. Was unsucessful. My main concern was that he looked fine, and I didn't want to hurt him or trap him to where he'd hurt himself. Eventually I called up my friends T & S who live just down the road to come help. They have lots of bird experience.

We got him out. He flew away! Just fine. Not a mark on him (or the cats to my surprise, his beak was pretty big).

Which all really leaves me wondering, what next?

Oh and HERE'S a better pic of one of these gorgeous birds.

14 Comments:

At 8:40 AM, Blogger merry said...

Wow a woody woodpecker!
We had a baby Cardinal once. I was able to open the door and let it fly away.
Glad no animals were injured in this blog post! ;-)

 
At 9:06 AM, Blogger Zonda said...

Amazing! glad he got out ok though! :)

 
At 9:20 AM, Blogger Cheesy Knit Wit said...

That is funny. Not that the cats were having their way with the bird; just the fact that you had a bird in your house.

 
At 9:24 AM, Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Amazing. Next thing you know we'll be calling you Snow White and offering you poisonous apples.

 
At 9:27 AM, Blogger AliceC said...

Cool! I've had small rodents (red squirrels, chipmunks) but never a bird.

 
At 10:07 AM, Anonymous Rose said...

I mainly get insects in my house. Once a stray cat wandered in though the hole in the screen door. And the problem with squirrel infestations. Nothing as cool as a woodpecker.

I'm glad he was able to fly away on his own.

 
At 11:33 AM, Blogger amy said...

I'm guessing red squirrels in your dresser drawers. Or a fish in your toilet. They've come by land and by air... the only thing left is by sea.

 
At 2:33 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

We've had a coule bats over the years, a lot of insects and arachnids, an occasional rodent. But never a snake or a woodpecker!

I used to get swallows in my bookstore in upstate NY. It was a 19th c. dairy barn, half-finished, with a lot of ways for wildlife to get in. And they sometimes did. Also had some shrews who were brazen as all get-out and once a weasel.

 
At 7:55 PM, Blogger Lazuli said...

Wow, what an adventure! I was imagining holes in books...

 
At 8:30 PM, Blogger spinndiva said...

I LOVE your place ( all but the snakes....) a new animal every day!!!
hehehee I told the kiddos and they love it too...
I will not go to taos this weekend, since hubby just started a new job this weekend...but let me know how it was!!!! would love to go with you but alas...
maybe we can get together again around here the weekend after next? let me know! would LOVE to!

 
At 6:35 AM, Anonymous the kitchener bitch (purrl) said...

Wow! A flicker is a BIG bird. That must have been crazy! Beautiful feather (and a fine pic given the circumstances.)

For a moment I thought you were going to say that the woodpecker had been pecking at the BOOKCASE, not the cats.

 
At 6:59 AM, Blogger Ali said...

I think that is really quite cool that a woodpecker was in your bookcase. Of course, only in that he was fine and flew away. We should be neighbors swapping "wildlife in the house" stories.

 
At 7:04 PM, Blogger sgeddes said...

What a beautiufl bird. You get the most interesting assortment of uninvited animals in the house I've ever heard of!

 
At 12:24 AM, Blogger String Bean said...

Holey kashmoley. :O

 

Post a Comment

<< Home