Friday, October 20, 2006

Friday Fiber lovin'

The Crosspatch Creations/Three Bags Full batts that I posted about here, all spun up and pretty.

The single:

CIMG3303

(and do remember to click for pics of the fibers as big as your screen if you want fibery goodness you can almost feel!)

Plyed with a single of Churro-Corriedale cross wool from Pam Dyer's flock up the road from me:

CIMG3359

The colorway of the batts was "Gwen and her Daughter" (don't ask me what that means...)

CIMG3360

I was spinning the single and not really knowing if I loved it or not. The colors, though lovely weren't looking like they'd make a good plyed yarn, yet I was spinning it pretty fine (because of the silk), and I don't like singles yarn for knitting. Elizabeth suggested plying it with something else! Perfect!

CIMG3364

The colors in the batts were not evenly spaced enough or consistent enough for a good Navajo ply, and would have gotten muddled up with a 2-ply. The gray wool single really lets the color come through, but adds an evenness to the yarn I love.

How much of this do I have? 3 good size skeins!

Total weight of all 3 skeins: 264 g/9.2 oz.
Total length: 1001 yds!
(enough for something cool methinks...)
15-16 WPI (heavy fingering weight to light sport weight).

Oh, the fiber content!
The batts were a blend of wool (Corriedale cross), Bombyx and Tussah silk and rayon. The percentages weren't listed, but I'm guessing around 40% wool, 40% silk and 20% rayon. Then of course I plyed with the Churro-Corrie wool....
(I like how you can see the silk shine....)

I'm not sure what this wants to become. A nice lacey wrap methinks. Maybe like that River wrap that Vknits made...

11 Comments:

At 9:29 AM, Blogger Magatha said...

I think that turned out lovely, like sundogs, rainbows in gray clouds, sparkly. I thought it might turn out all gray but I was wrong. It is so fascinating for a non spinner to see what you get out of a batt of fluff.

(I know sundogs aren't the round rainbows around the sun, but I misnamed them that early on and clearly never got over it.)

 
At 9:55 AM, Anonymous rose said...

I love that yarn. More than I've loved any of your other yarns. The gray sets off the colors perfectly, and provides so much visual unity.

 
At 10:23 AM, Blogger Valerie said...

Elizabeth is brilliant! That yarn looks fantastic. Just enough of the colors peeking through the gray.

I'm thinking a shawl or wrap would be perfect.

 
At 10:46 AM, Blogger spinndiva said...

I have to come up with new ways of saying it... but " I think it is sooooooo pretty!" really ays it best!;)

 
At 11:37 AM, Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

How about the Pimlico Shrug from Knit 2 Together? I so want to make that. I could totally see this yarn as that. Beautiful.

 
At 12:19 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

Perfect! A nice retiring grey really lets those colors dazzle. Happy ending!

 
At 1:56 PM, Blogger Mary, Mary... said...

I love that little pop of bright blue. Niiiiice.

 
At 3:09 PM, Blogger Zonda said...

I love it! It really looks good together! I really love seeing your handspun..have I said that before..well probably, but I'll keep on sayin' it! I love seeing your handspun! ;)

 
At 4:26 PM, Anonymous Elisabeth said...

Beautiful! :-)

 
At 8:57 PM, Blogger cpurl17 said...

I love those subtle colors and the photograph you took outside is so inspired!

 
At 11:38 AM, Blogger fibersnob said...

Wow, it looks amazing!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home