Thursday, October 19, 2006

Castlemilk Moorit Handspun

From the raw, washed locks:
(Remember to click on these small pics if you want to see big pics...)

CIMG3313

To handcombed locks:

CIMG3319

To a handspun 2-ply yarn:

CIMG3347

Part of the British Rare Breeds wool pack that Kristen and I shared, my first one of the 13...

CIMG3349

Castlemilk Moorit sheep are indeed a rare breed. "The Castlemilk Moorit is a short-tailed primitive breed, created from the Soay, Manx, Shetland and probably wild Mouflon, and kept entirely for its ornamental appearance." For Sheep breed info, go Here.

CIMG3351

The yarn and the fleece is lovely. The creamy tipped brown locks spun into a yarn with light heathery, tweedy patches. Nice hand too, similar to Shetland, though not double coated. I'd definitely look into getting more of this!

Yarn Specs:
Started with 50 g of washed fleece. Hand combed each lock to retain the tip color in the locks.
35.4g/1.25 oz of 2-plied yarn.
125 m/137 yds.

Oh yeah, the contest! What was that mystery fiber? Some of you got pretty close....it is in fact fiber undigested and passed through a horse! Horse poop. Hee. A little Friday the 13th fun! I actually threw everyone into the drawing. Cause apparently my contests are too hard for everyone to guess....and the winner is.....Pam!

8 Comments:

At 9:59 AM, Blogger mikomiao said...

gorgeous yarn sarah! your spinning is always so lovely.

 
At 11:03 AM, Blogger Abigale said...

That is absolutely lovely! I love the subtle variations in the colour... Mmmm spinning.

I haven't actually touched either of my wheels in a couple of weeks... Soon - must finish shawl - I'm on a mission.

Abi

 
At 11:49 AM, Blogger Bezzie said...

Wow!! I like your process pictures of the fiber from its raw state to all spun up. Impressive!

Ha ha, I was close with hay! Pre-digested!

 
At 12:21 PM, Blogger Laura said...

ok, I'm not kidding here. when I saw that photo of the fiber (for guessing) I _immediately_ thought "moose poop." Really! I'm not kidding.

But I didn't guess because I thought it was fiber that you were going to spin. Buggers. I should have guessed.

 
At 12:54 PM, Anonymous rose said...

I never would have thought of poo, but then I'm such a city girl.

I love the Moorit! WHere did you find the British Rare Breeds pack? It sounds like something that I should get my hands on.

 
At 7:09 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

Now that you say it, of course I take one look and say poop.

Lovely lovely spinning. As usual.

 
At 7:20 AM, Anonymous Bobbi said...

oooh! Lovely, you are so talented!

sneaky on the fiber, I thought it looks suspiciously like poo, having grown up on a farm, but I thought surely it was knitting related. :)

 
At 9:49 AM, Anonymous the kitchener bitch said...

That looks beautiful! Now I can't wait to spin mine! Your spinning looks better and better every day.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home