Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Quiviut-Suri-Quiviut

Lovely, lovely Baby Suri Alpaca from Sasha!


How soft you are, all fuzzy white! I can't wait to spin this. I'm so on the fence about dyeing it/not dyeing it. I love the fiber and worry I'd screw it up dyeing it...but I love color too....hmm. What do you guys think? 7 and 5/8 oz total.


Now....Quiviut Part I:

Laura sent me 3 oz of raw quiviut fiber to spin for her a while back. Now, I'm feeling guilty because I haven't finished it, and I got the package she sent me today! So, getting serious about the quiviut spin!


OK. I haven't actually started spinning it. It came as raw fiber, collected off of the musk ox, twigs, and rocks. In little clumps. One ounce of the fiber was packed in a small ziploc sandwich bag. After prepping the same ounce for spinning, the same fiber (above) now fits into a gallon ziploc.

The raw quiviut clumps, pre-prep:


And again, raw quiviut, pre-prep:



Now, I know those didn't look too bad, too dirty, etc. But can you see how they're kinda rolled up? Well, when you unroll them and pull the fibers apart, you can see the guard hair, bits and bobs, and dandruff stuck in there that you wanna get out before you spin it.

And prepped for the spin:



And again: all floofed and fluffed for spin: you can totally see how light and lofty this fiber is. The individual down fibers are so fine, I have a hard time distinguishing them! This stuff is soft. So soft!



And because its apparently the lightest fiber out there, one oz of this stuff is a lot more actual fiber than 1 oz of other stuff. You know the whole pound of feathers pile being bigger than the pound of bricks pile.

I'm prepping it! I should take a pic of the acutal dirt and guard hair I pull out of it....you know, I found a whole, dead balled up dried up spider the size of a pea in one clump! Hence the careful cleaning.

Oh yeah, and if you want your own quiviut to play spinny goddess with, Laura got her's here!

10 Comments:

At 9:57 AM, Blogger Laura said...

Fuzzy!

I'm so excited!

 
At 10:34 AM, Blogger Bezzie said...

So what does it smell like? (I love me a good llama or alpaca handspun and/or roving sniff!)

I'm a yarn huffer! :-P

 
At 1:48 PM, Blogger String Bean said...

Ohh, c'mon! You've got to dye the Suri. It makes spinning so much more fun - seeing all those colors emerge. Something greeny-blue? Or maybe a yellow/orange/red to celebrate the autumn weather?

 
At 2:35 PM, Blogger zibibbo said...

ooh what fuzzy loveies!

 
At 2:51 PM, Blogger Johnathon said...

So thats what suri looks like wow its shiny i am getting some soon in a grey colour i hope it is as nice as what you have :D

 
At 3:00 PM, Blogger Magatha said...

If you dye the Suri, do it in something light. My experience is, the darker the dye, the harsher the feel. Or something like that. I see it mint green. It looks so silky. I've never touched Suri.

 
At 4:47 PM, Blogger Zonda said...

That is so cool looking...I love visiting and seeing your awesome fiber pics!!! I spin through you... ;)

 
At 3:15 AM, Anonymous LaBean said...

Rolled up dead spider. That's just grody. :)) But wow! The Suri is sooooo dreamy-looking. I say, spin it undyed and THEN dye it. With the Columbia I had, it spun much easier natural. That said, I think I kinda felted the part I *did* dye first. As for the quiviut, WOW, that's a hunka fiber! I love a true roving.

 
At 5:15 AM, Anonymous dan said...

That quiviut is going to be so beautiful and warm (and I know I don't have to mention soft, because you know that already). Good luck with the spinning of it, I look forward to seeing the yarn and the project you decide to make with it... a lace scarf? some fingerless mitts?

 
At 5:21 AM, Blogger Carolyn said...

Ooh, I do envy you getting to play with some quivit. It's a fibre I've never seen or felt (not too many musk ox around here ;0 ), but have read about a lot.

I think you should spin the Suri first, then decide whether or not to dye it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home