Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Handspun Handknit Sockies

Yay! They're done! I'm wearing them right now even.



Knit on US 0s from my first handspun sockyarn. Roving was a superwash merino handpainted by Heritage Spinning and Weavingin Lake Orien Michigan (great store by the way, if you're ever up there, they do in fact have a whole room of sock yarn...)...



I spun the yarn with a little extra twist since it was for socks, then 2-plied it back from a center pull ball. People say that you need 5 oz for socks when you spin....I think I spun about 3.5 and have a good deal amount of yarn left.



Knit in the Elongated Rib pattern stitch from Sensational Knitted Socks by Charlene Schurch. Good book, I recommend it, if only for all the handy charts.

Knit top down, traditional heel and toe, Kitchener toe graft. I used a heel stitch on the heel flaps for the first time, and I dig it. I'll totally be doing heel stitches from now on.

As far as the pattern? I think I'm not a Lacey sock person. I like the look of the stockinette on the bottom of the foot more than the lacey top. So...simple socks, more of you shall be knit!

Oooh, Elizabeth got the Mead alpaca handspun I sent! Go check out her glorious pics of it!

And a certain someone tagged me to list 7 favorite songs.

So, here goes:
1) Poor Man's House, Patty Griffin
2) Iowa, Dar Williams
3) Hard Times in Babylon, Eliza Gilkyson
4) Carry Me, Hem
5) 3rd Planet, Modest Mouse
6) Every Little Bit, Patty Griffin
7) All Wilco songs ever written.

So...go forth and tell us your favorite 7 songs if you so desire. I'm not the tagging sort!

15 Comments:

At 8:28 AM, Blogger Valerie said...

Those look great! They really are very Trekking-esque.

 
At 8:33 AM, Blogger Magatha said...

Those are beautiful. Now, if the "world" ever ends and it's up to you to survive and produce, you know you can make socks from beginning to end. (All that you need to complete your training is darning experience, if you don't have it already.)

PS. this tagging stuff smells of chain letter. Whoever started it...mmmmm well you know.

 
At 8:41 AM, Blogger Brittany said...

The socks look so great! It's great motivation for me to get knitting with my handspun too.

 
At 9:13 AM, Blogger spinndiva said...

YAY for handspunn handknitt socks!!!
they turned out great! love the collour too!

 
At 9:26 AM, Blogger Trillian42 said...

Yay! They are beautiful!

 
At 10:32 AM, Blogger Bezzie said...

So pretty! Impressive!

Now, can we have fondant for dessert? ;-)

 
At 11:15 AM, Blogger Zonda said...

Lovely socks!! Great job on the spinning and knitting! Now enjoy them! :)

 
At 1:35 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

I always make basic socks, too. Once I thought I should really try something else, and started about 4 different options before I went back to 2X2 ribbing on the leg and stockinette on the foot.

But those are glorious. I expect to see a school of colorful coral reef fish go swimming by in the blues and greens.

 
At 4:44 PM, Blogger Julie said...

already commented on the socks...but omg, I must comment on Patty Griffin! It's not every day that you meet a Patty fan. Do you happen to post on the Patty boards? ;)

 
At 8:43 PM, Blogger mikomiao said...

those are utterly gorgeous. the color turned out great and the yarn looks so even!

 
At 4:37 AM, Anonymous rose said...

The socks are wonderful! You have such a way with fiber.

 
At 7:09 AM, Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Gorgeous! I love the subtle striping.

(and I swear I wasn't trolling for handspun! I swear!)

 
At 8:21 AM, Blogger Laura said...

I've never heard the song Iowa and now I want to. I found the lyrics online, but no mp3 of it. :(

Lovely socks. You can never have too much of one color.

 
At 8:32 AM, Blogger Carolyn said...

I only understood about 1 word in 5 in the plying and spinning explanation ;) but I love the socks. Whatever it was you did, they turned out great!

 
At 12:18 PM, Anonymous Hazel said...

Those are gorgeous. Inspiring even! I've just started out with spinning and I want to make my own sock yarn - its nice to know its acheivable.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home