Friday, September 01, 2006

Green-spun Rambo(uillet batts)!

The green-multi-colored Rambo batts from Sasha have been conquered!

It took me about 15 minutes of spinning these to figure out not only how to spin them fast and easy, but also that I was really digging it.

You can kinda see in the photo of the whole skein, the little nepps, and nubbins and noily bits that were drafted in with the single and left to be part of the yarn.

At first, before the 15 minutes of initial spin was through, I wasn't liking these. Then, I relaxed. Let go.

Let the fiber be. Just let it be what it should be. And that, is what made both me and the yarn happy!

After that, spinning was fast, easy, and fun. The end yarn is also gorgeous, one of a kind, likes cats, and hopefully enjoys skiing.

This yarn tells me it will be my new winter hat for this year!

Yarn specs:
4.02 oz/114 g (final skein. It is dryer here, so I think the weights I get on things always seem to be a bit lighter than the amount of fiber that bags are labeled with when they arrive).
264 yds/241 m.
2-ply (of course, don't you know how I roll[eh, spin] by now?)
12-13 WPI. Approx. worsted weight (on the lighter side) yarn.

So, how exactly did I spin this that was fun and fast?

I took the batts (which were rolled up in little snail like wraps), found the end, and pulled them out so they looked quite a bit like pre-drafted roving, though thicker widthwise.

The fibers in these batts were pretty intermingled and angled all which ways....so I figured a woollen yarn would be ideal...also good for a hat, right? Trapped air and warmth and all.

Then, after attaching a small fold of fiber over the leader, I did a pretty good imitation of a long draw. I held the batt in the right hand and pulled it way back....let twist come in at the top, and kept the right hand pulling the batt out. I gave in and let all the nepps and nubbins advance into the twist and become part of the yarn (and spinning was more fun after this point). Pull and let yarn wind on.

I tried to keep the spinning fast so that the yarn would be twisted just enough. And, when I pulled it off the stool (skein winder), lo and behold! Balanced yarn!

(Oh, and I really do have a knitting FO to show off soon, next week, I promise!)

14 Comments:

At 8:40 AM, Blogger zibibbo said...

Wow, I had no idea there were so many colors in there when looking at the roving/batting/whatevering photos in your other post. It's lovely!

 
At 8:41 AM, Blogger theShizzKnit said...

Beautiful! Fab that you zen spun and let the wool be itself. Love when that happens :)

 
At 9:26 AM, Anonymous rose said...

It's amazing how different fiber looks from yarn. I didn't care for the coloring of the batts, but I love how the yarn turned out.

 
At 10:52 AM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

Wow! Wow! Wow! So gorgeous!

 
At 11:27 AM, Blogger Bezzie said...

Hm, Rambo batt. Green with a slight yellowish inflection. I'm taking it as a sign! Thanks!!!
I love it!

 
At 1:12 PM, Blogger Penny Karma said...

Spectacular! I LOVE IT!!

 
At 3:28 PM, Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Oh wow. That's amazingly beautiful! I love the colors! They wend their way into one another so seemlessly.

 
At 4:07 PM, Blogger merlinthecat said...

Looks great!~!!!

 
At 9:56 AM, Blogger Nancy said...

OMG it is so beautiful!

 
At 9:56 AM, Blogger Nancy said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 5:36 PM, Blogger spinndiva said...

LOVE the collour of the yarn!
I made fuzzy feet out of the yarn that I got from you, the blue one...now I have to go and felt them...YAYY sarah-yarn-fuzzy-feet!

 
At 7:55 PM, Blogger Lazuli said...

Wow, that yarn is gorgeous! I love the colors!

 
At 10:20 AM, Blogger Carolyn said...

Wow, that is fabulous! It really is amazing how different the spun yarn looks to the roving.

 
At 1:58 PM, Blogger String Bean said...

Looks great! I leave the little nubs of fiber in, too, and I find that they make knitting with the yarn much more enjoyable. I love that I'm not the only person who lets the fiber do it's own thing!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home