Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Targhee so lovely...

At the spinning guild meeting last Saturday (oh, yeah, I'm in the process of working up a blog for my spinning guild, Wild and Woolly Women of the West, so stay tuned), I finished spinning up the Targhee wool top:

Lovely stuff. (Yes, this is the dark blue of the three I asked about in that contest a while back). Handpainted by Mountain Colors, and purchased from Woodland Woolworks. I think this is the 'Midnight Sky' colorway.

As you can see....predominantly deep blues, with some purples in there too. A more subltle colorway, the color effects are really there to add depth and dimension rather than stand out and say "Handpainted Roving!!!". I like.

A section of the roving:

I definitely enjoyed spinning this one up. Soft, sproingy, requiring a fair amount of the fluff and floof, but not as much as say, the sock yarn. Spins even, could go thickish, or thinish.

Specs:
110g/3.9 oz (finished yarn...bought in a 4 oz. lot)
493 yds (451 m)
2-ply
Approximately fingering weight; 15-17 WPI.

Hmmm, this would make some nice socks methinks. (For me of course, since I couldn't give anyone else cold wash socks right, well, maybe another knitter). Or a lacy wrap thingy....enough for one too!

Nice stuff. I'd spin it again! It was similar to spinning Merino, but a little easier to draft. Soft as some Merinos too.

I'm hoping I'll get around to weaving in the rest of the ends on that scarf soon so I can block it. It would be nice to show a little knitting eh?

12 Comments:

At 9:10 AM, Anonymous rose said...

Very nice :)

What size ratio do you use for the fingering weight yarn you produce?

 
At 9:25 AM, Blogger Valerie said...

That's gorgeous, as usual! ;) I do love those blues!

 
At 9:39 AM, Blogger Magatha said...

Nothing productive to say except, I get the feeling your are partial to blue ;-)

Your yarns are beautiful.

 
At 1:09 PM, Blogger aija said...

Beautiful stuff!

 
At 2:04 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

Wow! Gorgeous, gorgeous! I need some new adjectives!

 
At 3:24 PM, Blogger spinndiva said...

Oh I love the dark blue yarn!!! it is so pretty....I love your spinning reviews...keep em comming!

 
At 3:58 PM, Blogger Zonda said...

Nice job there, vibrant blues too! :)

 
At 5:13 PM, Blogger Bezzie said...

Ooo, love the color. I'd pair it up with some bright yellow. It reminds me of the AK flag color!

Ok, now taking bets on how many pervs google "Wild Woolly Women of the West"!!!!! ;-)

 
At 11:51 AM, Blogger Theresa said...

Beautiful blue!! I hope I can do that someday...

 
At 11:56 AM, Blogger Cheesy Knit Wit said...

That is gorgeous. You certainly amaze me.

 
At 5:08 PM, Blogger zibibbo said...

eeetz loverly! absolutely loverly!

 
At 5:40 AM, Blogger enallagma9 said...

Lovely. Gorgeous. Beautiful. And a few more adjectives like those....

Inspirational. How's that?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home