Tuesday, August 22, 2006

O is for OMFGThisReallyGotToMe!

***If Snakes (yes, real snakes) Freak you out uncontrollably....simply look at the pretty picture of this Mertush and scroll no further***



SNAKES IN MY STOVE!



So, last night. I was happy, roasting some garden chilies in the broiler, cooking up some Toor Dal (all for my newest concoction, the Indian-Roti/Quesadillas, which, by the way, is excellent).

I have the chilies broiling. I have pots on the stove. I open the oven to check the chilies.

I see, in the little gap between where the oven door rests and the actual oven, something pop out and wave back and forth a few times. Mind you, I saw this out of the corner of my eye, and my first thought was, "Oh, that liner thingy that seals the gap must have come loose and was waving around."

So. What do I do? I stick my hand up there to see if the liner thingy is gone. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Snakes in my stove!

The snake then pops his head back out, and slithers around my arm! AHHHHHHHHH! Before dropping off through the crack where the door hinges are, and I see him slither into the drawer at the bottom of the stove.

NOOOOoooooooooooooooooo!

For real. There was a snake in MY stove. Now, I'm not afraid of snakes. In fact this snake (which is either a garter snake or a gopher snake, my co-workers are still debating this) had it been outside, in the grass, would not have scared me at all.

But when a snake comes out of your stove as you're attempting deliciousness it is freaky. I waited a while. I turned off the oven. I peered in the oven drawer. Yep, snake still there. I did not imagine the whole thing. And snapped this photo.....(snake was subsequently re-released into the field across the way by Nate).

23 Comments:

At 8:40 AM, Blogger Jenna said...

Yeah, I don't mind snakes in the wild either (as long as they aren't too close). Snakes in my stove is a totally different thing. There would be a total freak-out if that happened to me.

 
At 9:19 AM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

I agree: wildlife in the wild is one thing. Wildlife in an unexpected place is quite another. Freak out indeed! But you are totally in sync with this summer's campy horror theme!

 
At 9:36 AM, Blogger granola said...

unexpected = freaky, but he's a cute little guy.

must be a SW kind of snake though, I've never seen one like that.

 
At 9:46 AM, Blogger Bezzie said...

Oh man, can I trade you ants in my kitchen for your snake? Or hm, maybe I NEED a snake in my stove to eat the ants?

Boy, I'm glad you didn't accidentally roast him. Gross.

 
At 9:57 AM, Blogger zibibbo said...

SNAKES IN THE OVEN!


wow, just wow.

 
At 10:05 AM, Blogger sgeddes said...

Yeah, OMFG is right! That is weird, I would have never thought one could get into the oven drawer.

 
At 10:10 AM, Blogger Karen said...

I would have been crying. Out and out bawling.

Snakes in the Oven....*shudder*

 
At 10:10 AM, Blogger Karen said...

I would have been crying. Out and out bawling.

Snakes in the Oven....*shudder*

 
At 10:18 AM, Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Ohmygawdohmygawdohmygawd. I'da freaked the hell out.

 
At 10:30 AM, Blogger peri said...

Whoah! Must have been a bit of shock (bit of British understatement there).

For some reason I keep thinking of Woody from Toy Story - he used to say 'There's a snake in my boot!'

 
At 10:59 AM, Blogger spinndiva said...

IIIIIIIIIIIICKS!!!
I am not a friend to snakes in my house... outside I am in their territory so that is different...
WARNING : to all snakes: DO NOT COME IN MY HOUSE!!!!
I would die right then and there....

 
At 12:01 PM, Anonymous Mag said...

The heart palpitations are calming now. I feel deeply traumatized for you. Too creepy. But you'll be better warned next time. That's what you get for living in paradise. No free lunches for you! :-)

 
At 2:16 PM, Blogger Abigale said...

Just in time to go see Snakes on a Plane! Of course that would freak anyone out. I'm really not afraid of snakes in the slightest - looks like I might be getting an albino corn snake in the near future - and when I see them outside, unless they are rattling at me, I don't have any fear - but if I was just thinking it was the stove liner thingy - omg - I would freak out!

Abi

 
At 6:44 PM, Blogger Ali said...

I don't like snakes, so that would have made me cough up a body part. That is one cool story though. Now if you could get Samuel L. Jackson to do a sound bite for you "Snakes in My Oven".

 
At 7:18 PM, Blogger Zonda said...

OMG!!!!!!!!!!I just got the chills! You brave woman!! I'd be like T-girl, freaking all out!! Shudder! Whoa!!

 
At 9:31 PM, Blogger Kate said...

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
omg
i would of lost it- congrats on keeping it together long enough to snap a picture

 
At 5:41 AM, Blogger amy said...

Yeah, the only thing my boyfriend would have heard was a blood-curdling scream. He'd hurry into the kitchen just as I was running out, we'd body slam and fall to the floor unconscious. Then the snake would slither over us, thinking "I win. That was easy."

 
At 6:49 AM, Blogger Carolyn said...

It wasn't a poisonous snake, right? That would just be toooooo scary.

I don't mind snakes on their own turf, but in the oven - I'dve freaked out.

 
At 2:57 PM, Anonymous the kitchener bitch said...

OMFG is right. Now I will refrain from sticking my hand behind the stove for six months.

 
At 8:39 AM, Blogger ZantiMissKnit said...

My snake-geek guess is a gopher or a small bull snake. I'll have to ask ZantiMisterKnit; he's a bigger snake-geek than I.

How did you get him out?

 
At 8:44 AM, Blogger ZantiMissKnit said...

Oh, and the coolest thing, this post is dated on my anniversary! :-D

 
At 1:52 PM, Blogger ZMrK said...

It's a garter snake, and a durn cute one too!

 
At 8:20 PM, Blogger Jerry & Maxy said...

the snake is WAY worse than the woodpecker. when i lived in CO, folks often found bull snakes hanging out in the house - not the stove, but bull snakes are bigger. you are so brave!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home