Friday, August 04, 2006

Mo' Plyin'

(voting for socks result at the bottom of the post!)

So, I took the mohair locks that I spun up (here), spun up a bobbin of super awesome English Corriedale Cross top (below),

And plied the two together! The resulting yarn is smooth, with little nubs of the curly locks poking out here and there...

With a little veggie matter still evident in the mohair ply.

Close up:

Not my most even yarn. The Corrie ply is very even, possibly the most even single I've spun to date. The mohair single isn't too uneven in itself, but plying the two back together, well, wasn't as even as I planned.

I plied back from the bobbins (not my usual method) and didn't keep it as even as I do with my ply back from a ball method.

Approximate weight (I'm so not scientific here) is 3.5-3.75 oz. Yardage...yes I actually counted this time...251 yds. So, probably in the DK range, verging on sport weight.

Goal for this yarn...to spin up another bobbin full and make the Swallowtail shawl from the latest IK with it. It's not laceweight, but, since the shawl is a small triangular shawl I figure if I use larger needles and yarn it will simply end up being a little larger, more like a normal shawl size.

The yarn didn't fuzz out as much as I thought it would when I washed it/set the twist. But, from a little reading, it seems that if you take a brush and brush the yarn back, it will fuzz out with a nice mohair halo. To finish the yarn, I'll brush it back to fuzzify, and pick out the VM as I knit.

Sock Yarn Vote!

Thanks so much to everyone who voted, it was great getting comments from everyone, now I have more folks to visit!

A) Handspun = 16 votes! The winner!
B) Trekking = 6 votes, 3rd place.
C) Sweet Georgia = 8 votes, 2nd place.

So...I'll be knitting my next pair o'socks with my handspun! And to switch it up a little, I think I'll try my first pair of toe up!

9 Comments:

At 9:49 AM, Blogger wonky said...

Your yarn is so beautiful and fine! I love the curlies in it.

So since the fondant didn't win, I'll be sending you my address, and you can send it to me :-)

It was a tough contest though, the handspun is so luscious!

 
At 9:54 AM, Anonymous rose said...

I'm in awe. You produce lovely yarn.

What size whorl do you use and what's your w.p.i.? I'm obsessed about whorl size right now.

 
At 10:01 AM, Blogger zibibbo said...

Wooohooo! You really know how to work that orifice!

 
At 10:25 AM, Blogger peri said...

Gorgeous yarn - it looks so soft. Can't wait to see the socks in handspun.

 
At 11:11 AM, Blogger bradyphrenia said...

aww, shoot. my vote didn't turn the tables.

you will love toe-up socks, though. well, unless you don't, of course.

 
At 11:40 AM, Blogger Bezzie said...

I like the slight kinkiness to it (and the veggie matter--I love that about homespun)and I'm not a real big mohair fan.

I'm so bummed fondant lost by 8 :-(

 
At 10:06 AM, Blogger cpurl17 said...

I'm bummed that I missed out in the voting but agree that your handspun yarn is beautiful! Can't wait to see the socks!

 
At 2:15 AM, Blogger Carolyn said...

Wow, that looks so beautiful. Are you going to leave it natural coloured or dye it?

 
At 9:47 AM, Blogger spinndiva said...

toe up socks ROCK! I just started doing them that way after beeing a stout cuff down knitter, but I am converted... I love the way they fit after toe up knitting...
I am sure you'll love it too...
Hugs...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home