Monday, August 21, 2006

Mertussah!

Merino (80%) and Tussah Silk (20%) blend from Louet. Given to me by the lovely Purrl/KitchenerBitch ! In the Garnet color. I loved this from the minute I laid my eyes and hands on it! So soft, so shiny, so red!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I spun a perfectly balanced skein too!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Easy to draft, a lovely fiber to spin...I see more wool-silk blends in my future!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The color is best represented by the top and bottom photos in the series...

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Specs:
3.14 oz of fiber (pre-spinning, and I didn't weigh it afterwards)
447 yds(!) of 2-ply
Definitely laceweight, though not as fine as some laceweight yarns I've used.

Destined to be...something lacey and small. Swallowtail shawl from the new IK? The Trellis scarf from the IK a few seasons ago? Something new?

I'll say it again. This fiber is a joy to spin! If you haven't tried the Mertussah, you're missing out. Get some for yourself, get some for your spinny SP, get some for your mom.

Oh! It came from this:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

And it looked like this:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

On the bobbin!

Oh...having blogger photo uploading issues this morning, so I uploaded through photobucket. Don't like the quality as much though. Bah.

15 Comments:

At 10:50 AM, Blogger Valerie said...

That's gorgeous!

 
At 10:59 AM, Blogger Laura said...

beautiful--the color, the spinning, everything!

I'm glad that I asked you to spin my qiviut!

 
At 11:16 AM, Blogger Carolyn said...

Wow, that is really beautiful, and great photos!

 
At 11:17 AM, Blogger Trillian42 said...

Wow - that is absolutely spectacular.

And as soon as I saw "mertussah", I wanted to say "gesundheit". =)

 
At 11:23 AM, Anonymous rose said...

The mertussah is fabulous!

I spindle spun some of it about 2 years ago as one of my first fibers. I think it's time to pick up some more.

 
At 11:29 AM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

Gorgeous!

 
At 11:54 AM, Blogger Abigale said...

Mmmmm Mertusah - love everything about it! One of my favorite fibers to spin too. I've got some greeney (Garden of Eden) left that I should maybe get back to at some point.

I'm going to have to start using the Mertusah moniker too - I've just been calling it silk/wool blend which gets confusing when you're plying it with pure silk.

Abi

 
At 11:57 AM, Blogger zibibbo said...

Mertush!

She's loverly!

 
At 1:20 PM, Anonymous the kitchener bitch said...

Beautiful! I'm so glad you liked it! I had fun spinning it too...

 
At 1:22 PM, Blogger Jenna said...

Sarah that is simply beautiful. You did a great job spinning it up too.

 
At 1:57 PM, Blogger Sner said...

I love that stuff - it's the same as what I used to make my Mom's Clapotis. I am no where near your skill however and mine certainly did not turn out a laceweight. Excellent job. I always get inspired when I check out your site!

 
At 1:57 PM, Blogger Sner said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 7:03 PM, Blogger Bezzie said...

So pretty! And I love the way Mertussah rolls off the tongue. If you happen to adopt another cat you ought to consider name him/her Mertussah Fondant. ;-)

 
At 8:45 PM, Anonymous Marie said...

The more knitting blogs I visit the more spinning I see. Something tells me everybody gets the spinning bug eventually.

Beautiful!

 
At 8:30 AM, Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Beautiful! Like Raspberries!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home