Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Handspun: Alpaca-Silk

Another fiber combo that I hadn't tried before. 70% Dark brown alpaca and 30% white tussah silk. A truly great fiber blend. Not cheap at $5 an ounce, hence my only purchasing 2 oz. of it.

From a lovely small alpaca farm in Colorado. The two women who had the booth at the Pagosa Springs Fiber Festival were so awesome, I mentioned I had never spun Suri before, or on a Kromski wheel, and they pulled out some fiber, sat me down at the wheel and let me spin for quite a while! This is why I love fiber festivals. Meeting small fiber producers, the personal connection....I could go on.

Tonight is the spin night! I'm really excited about the possibilities of getting involved in the fiber arts community here. The two county fairs are also starting this weekend, and I plan to go and spin at the spinning booths a little bit too.

Anyways. 2 oz. of fiber became a 2-ply laceweight-fingering yarn. 167 yards, 15 wpi. Z-spun the singles and S-plied. After a plying mistake...I initially tried to ply the singles in the same (Z) direction that I had spun them. Took me a good 10 minutes til the lightbulb clicked. So I pulled the mis-plied yarn all the way back and re-plyed the correct way. No visible damage done, good to know for future reference.

I had started my fiber adventures here in the Four Corners before realizing how lucky I was to be in a place ideal for small fiber farming and rich with spinning and weaving traditions. From the Navajo with their churro sheep and famous rugs to the Spanish weaving centered around the Rio Grande Valley, it's a good place to be.

9 Comments:

At 9:54 AM, Anonymous Rose said...

Aren't you Little Miss Productivity! Every time I see your spinning I'm even more impressed.

I've done the s-twist s-ply before, too. It's not fun. I was using a drop spindle at the time and wondering why my yarn was looking worse after plying than better. But we live and learn.

 
At 11:36 AM, Blogger spinndiva said...

WOW I love that yarn ! It realy looks so even and the collour is great too! I rather like gray!
I cannot wait for Taos wool fest... wohooooo!

 
At 12:02 PM, Blogger Bezzie said...

Ha ha, I remember incorrectly plying my hair when it used to reach my butt!

Gorgeous yarn there! Give it a good sniff for me! ;-)

 
At 12:13 PM, Blogger zibibbo said...

OOH I like it! I like it! It's soo pretty I bet it is as soft as it looks!

 
At 2:08 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

It's really lovely Sarah. Inspiring. I need to give myself more spinning time...

Is there a way to put more hours in a day? Preferably in the time after kids go to bed and before I need to do the same?

 
At 3:26 PM, Blogger Ali said...

Yes, you do make one wish there were more hours in a day. I envy your spinning skills. Have fun at the fairs. I wish I were there to see you spin. :)

 
At 12:09 AM, Blogger Carolyn said...

That is really lovely. You seem to be a natural at spinning!

 
At 2:27 AM, Blogger peri said...

Lovely yarn! It looks so soft and I love the sheen.

 
At 2:27 AM, Blogger peri said...

Lovely yarn! It looks so soft and I love the sheen.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home