Monday, July 17, 2006

Starmore Swatch 8

First off, the swatch is the same color as swatches 6 and 7, not the toxic waste spill green here. This is a prime example of light affecting the quality of your photos. Luckily, color isn't what I'm trying to depict here. I find that with the heavily cabled/textured designs I'd rather illustrate the texture than the color so the 6:30 am light is good. Enough shadow to see depth, just enough light not to have to use the flash.

Anyways. Step 5: Braided cables; "A logical expansion of the plaiting concept." Below: the whole swatch.


From right to left:

A) A basic four strand (2 stitch strands) braid.

B) A basic five strand (2 stitch strands) braid. Now, one thing I noticed right away as this braid developed was the similarity that the center part of the braid has to entrelac. Entrelac look alike with no picking up stitches (or turning) required...hmmm, might need to further investigate.

C) This braid is exactly the same as braid B, but it has a single purl stitch worked between the strands. You cross the strands over the purls. This really makes the braid 'pop'.

The two cables on the left:

D) Braid is similar to C, but this time the strands move across the purl background one stitch before meeting and crossing. In this braid you can see how we're starting to open braids up and move them across the background.

E) (far left). A four strand simple braid which not only has the background stitches in the cable such as C, but is worked across the purl background as in cable E.

I started swatch 9 as well. Whoo. Celtic interlacement effects. Lots of cabling!

The weekend was otherwise good, finally weeded the garden plot! Did my first overdyeing (more on that tomorrow!), actually finished something (more on that this week too), and got a little spinning in.

7 Comments:

At 8:37 AM, Anonymous rose said...

I really admire all the time and effort you're putting into swatching those braids. It's impressive

 
At 9:32 AM, Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

There's nothing wrong with that shade of green =P

That swatch is awesome. I want to learn how to do the braiding, but i haven't got the next stitchionary yet.

 
At 11:35 AM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

Nice cables. I like the Poison Green, too, Turtlegirl.

 
At 7:41 PM, Blogger Ali said...

Beautiful cabling there. I, too, like the nuclear waste green :)

 
At 5:51 AM, Blogger leahpd said...

I love your swatches and the who idea of knitting intuitively. Do you think these swatches are helping much with that? I would LOVE to cable without having to tie myself down to a chart....

 
At 8:47 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

Leah,

The "intuitive knitting" is going well.

Swatches 1-7 were all mostly knit without looking at the charts after the cable patterns were set!

Swatch 8, well, I didn't put the pattern away. The first two cables A and B I didn't have to look at the charts for. The other 3, with the new stuff being introduced (combining the purl and knit stitches in one cable and moving across a background) I still was working up to figuring out the whole thing.

But, so far in swatch 9 I'm working better at it!

 
At 7:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll be anxious to see and learn of your experience on swatch 9. I have been aran knitting for alittle while now, but the Celtic design (or maybe the chart) has me in a tailspin.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home