Friday, July 07, 2006

Shetland and the Bluffs

Well, I've been spinning a fair bit, knitting a little, and exploring a lot around the new house with Nate and the woofie.

I finally finished up the natural moorit colored Shetland! I had 12 oz of this fiber:

The roving was nice and fluffy, I simply split this roving in half, then pre-drafted a little to get the fibers slipping before spinning. Compared to the Merino, this hardly takes any pre-spinning work. I'd say on a scale of 1-10, the merino was an 8 in terms of pre-prep work, and this is about a 2.

I could really spin this stuff fast! I mean I could acutally draft it about as fast as I wanted to treadle and still get a fairly consistent yarn.

A full bobbin's (4 oz) worth of singles wound into a center pull ball:

Now, that, is the correct color. Warm Cadburys melted in the sun.

The yarn ends up like so...(2 plied, heavy DK-light worsted)

I have four good sized skeins and one mini skein. All bathed and hung to dry.
I bought this wool intending some overdying experiments. Hence the mini skein to start with. Mini skein to be test-dyed this weekend! And depending on the results, possibly the rest too. I want deep reds, purples, burgundies.

We've been exploring the area around the new house too. Just across the street is a big area of BLM land great for hiking and mountain biking. On the 4th we hiked up to the Cinder Bluffs:


Cinder Bluffs

Ironically, no cinders on the cinder bluffs. Igneous rock not to be found. Coal seams that had burned in the past producing cinder-like rock, definitely.

Lovely to have hiking right out your door. I love the contrasts of the land here. River and trees and green at the house. Mesas and bluffs and high desert across the road.

8 Comments:

At 9:23 AM, Blogger spinndiva said...

Oh wow Sarah! It is beautiful!! the Yarn and the Bluff!!!
Bridgett

 
At 11:00 AM, Anonymous rose said...

Mmmm...shetland :) I've got 10 oz of gray waiting for me. I love the moorit. The scenery is lovely. Someday I'll make it out west.

 
At 12:25 PM, Anonymous zib said...

the Shetland is gorgeous! I can't wait to see your dyeing experimenting.

Mamamia, very cool having that across the road (:

 
At 2:04 PM, Blogger Abigale said...

Beautiful shetland! What a great job you did! It is just scrummy - good enough to eat... I know that I just get so inordinately happy seeing my handspun in the neat little balls like that - hope it has the same affect on you :-)

And wow - the views that you have! You are very lucky to have moved to such a beautiful location.

Have fun!

 
At 5:25 PM, Blogger Mary, Mary... said...

I love the center pull ball--it looks like the rings on a very old tree. What gorgeous hiking terrain!

 
At 9:05 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

Your spinning is an inspiration.

I still need to work with the Churro you sent! Thanks so much!

Husband says he will grow flax. He's really into the idea and read the articles right away.

 
At 9:54 AM, Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Oooh Roving pr0n AND yarn pr0n all in the same post! Saweet.

 
At 4:36 PM, Blogger Penny Karma said...

Knit me up a Werther's Chewy Caramel out of that Shetland! That's what the color reminds me of! It's beautiful.

Keep on surrounding yourself with beautiful things and keep sharing pics with us!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home