Thursday, June 29, 2006

Starmore Aran Swatches 6 and 7

Swatches 6 and 7 blocked and photographed! Both swatches represent Honeycomb panels and plaits. Note, I added a category to the sidebar for the Aran swatches so you can find the posts with swatches easily for comparison.

Swatch 6:

The center panel is a classic Aran honeycomb stitch, a variation of the honeycomb cable seen in the last swatches but worked back to back without background stitches in between the cables. On the left of the swatch is a plaited cable, with three strands, of which 2 strands (or 3 stitches) are worked at once in a 9 stitch plait. The strands are crossed so cable goes toward the center of the plait.

Swatch 7:

This swatch is essentially the same as swatch 6, with an Aran honeycomb center panel and plaits at the right and left. But it represents honeycomb cables crossed over two stitches (instead of 4 above), and plaits worked over 6 stitches (instead of 9 above). The plaits also cross away from the center of the plaited cable instead of toward the center as in swatch 6.

A comparison of Swatch 6 (top) and Swatch 7 (bottom):

You can definitely see the difference in scale between the 4 and 2 stitch honeycombs and the 6 and 9 stitch plaits in this photo.

Looking at the charts I thought that swatch 7 would take me about twice as long since the honeycomb went from 4 to 2 stitches. In reality, it took about 3 times as long to knit! I also made several mistakes in the smaller honeycomb panel (none in the larger one). It was a lot harder to read the stitches in the smaller panel, and the cable cross of 1 stitch at a time was a lot more finicky.

I cast on for 8 last night. Then worked on a sock. It looks a lot harder from here on out. But, I can say that the whole idea of getting to be an "intuitive knitter" is working out so far. I knit up a repeat or two of the chart, put the chart away, and knit the rest of the swatch from just looking at the knitting at hand.

Oh yeah...I couldn't resist:

Kitten!

Responding to Bezzie's comment yesterday about the merino roving, this particular roving was quite thick. I have had merino roving that wasn't though, so really you need to take your roving and assess what type of yarn you want as an end result, and then pre-draft as necessary to suit your needs. Some roving I don't even need to pre-draft. Some, like that merino needs tons. So yeah, I guess that doesn't help much. Or does it? You need pics?

7 Comments:

At 11:28 AM, Anonymous rose said...

I admire your patience for doing all those swatches. Are you keeping the kittens, or adopting them out?

 
At 11:31 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

Kittens will have to be adopted out. Since we have 4 cats, and the new house came with 2 abandoned cats...one had 3 kittens. 9 cats is too many. And the mommy will be adopted too. We'll keep the really old kitty who was abandoned...since she probably wouldn't find a home.

 
At 5:24 AM, Blogger Bezzie said...

I love the latest swatches. Specifically the plaits.

Thanks for the clarification on the merino as well. But darn, here I was hoping I could just blame the roving ;-) What I think I really need is more practice!

 
At 5:59 AM, Anonymous the kitchener bitch said...

that's pretty amazing. Are you doing the swatches as part of a test, or as a study tool? What ultimately comes out of this process? They look pretty great. Being the utilitarian I am, I'd probably turn all my swatches into a mini-blanket or into tiny cabled purses or something.

I wish you could ship those kitties to Baltimore! I know someone who really needs a cute little kitten right now.

 
At 3:06 PM, Blogger Jerry & Maxy said...

You are a good foster Mommy!

And I love the honeycomb!

 
At 4:53 PM, Blogger spinndiva said...

KITTENS!!!!!
I have just been playing around with some honeycomb myself! but the lacey kind for a shawl....
yours look realy good!

 
At 7:22 AM, Blogger adrienne said...

The Starmore swatches look great. That's such a cool project - I would learn so much from doing that!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home