Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Handspun Sockyarn (and kittens)

The three little kittens (who have no mittens) are doing well! A couple of pictures from this morning:

Gray stripedy #1 (not too thrilled about being picked up):


Super cute and fuzzy little black kitten:

Yep, their eyes are all open, and they can actually walk now! With their little kitten legs under them instead of sprawled out to the side.

Handspun sockyarn! This was spun from superwash merino roving, hand dyed by Heritage Spinning and Weaving in Lake Orien, Michigan. Nice, nice roving. This skein is 100g/3.5 oz. (hey! exactly the amount of a ball of sockyarn! wow, and I just guessed!. I bought 8 oz of this roving, so I still have enought to make something else (after I spin the yarn that is).

Two-plyed, nice and fine! It really looks comparable to the Lana Grossa sock yarn I'm working with now, though I think I'll knit it on a smaller needles to compensate for the two-ply of the handspun vs. the 3+ ply of the commercial yarn.


The colors in these pictures are really accurate. Deep greens, purples and blues. I think taking the photos outside in the morning light really is working for me.


The whole skein. You can really tell that this is nice fine sock or fingering yarn too, compare it with that llama I posted last which was close to worsted.


I'm thinking I'll either use a nylon re-inforcement thread for the toes and heels of the socks with this yarn or hold the yarn doubled for the toe and heel. It depends on if I can find a re-inforcement thread that matches well enough.

Since I'm winding my finished skein from the bobbin onto the swift and can't be bothered counting the strands of yarn wrapped round the swift to get yardage, I'll just do the WPI method from now on when estimating the lengths of my handspun skeins. It really does take a lot longer to spin this nice fine sockyarn than something like that llama. I spun the llama in two sittings. I'd say this yarn took me about 6-8 sittings of spinning. Makes sense though. More yardage = more time.

Based on WPI, this yarn is 16 WPI, so around 480-510 yds, 3.5 oz/100g. (perfect for the sock plan).

17 Comments:

At 8:47 AM, Blogger Valerie said...

That looks amazing!

 
At 8:50 AM, Anonymous rose said...

The yarn is awesome! The colors are great and you spun it beautifully :) I'm going to keep looking to you for spinning inspiration.

I love the expression on the first kitten photo.

 
At 8:50 AM, Blogger bungalowmum said...

Stunning. Sock yarn does take a long time, doesn't it. I really love the colors in your skein.

 
At 8:57 AM, Blogger bradyphrenia said...

awwwww, i love cute kitten photos!

i love sock yarn photos too. the blues are very pretty.

 
At 10:05 AM, Anonymous turtlegirl76 said...

Beautiful job! Your spinning is really taking off! The colors! Wow!

Those kittens are too cute. If you were closer, I might kidnap one.

 
At 11:13 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

That yarn is so pretty! I have not spun a sock yarn yet- but that is very inspirational. I don't know if this would work for you- but I tied a bright ribbon on my swift so when I am winding it's really obvious to me for counting.

 
At 11:59 AM, Anonymous Susann said...

Lovely yarn! And I want the kitties!

 
At 12:06 PM, Blogger Jodi said...

hi Sarah (psst...it's loki) the kittens are adorable...makes me think maybe i have room for some more felines in my family:) love the yarn too! congratulations on your new home...it is magnificant!

 
At 12:07 PM, Blogger Jerry & Maxy said...

You truly are an amazing spinner and kitten grower!

 
At 3:49 PM, Blogger Pugknits said...

wheeeee!!!!what a huge skein of sock yarn! great job!

 
At 7:54 PM, Blogger Zonda said...

Awesome job on that!! You should be proud!! Lovely colors! Can't wait to see the socks!

 
At 12:40 AM, Blogger Carolyn said...

That's lovely! You did a really good job on the spinning - looks very professional.

The kitties are soooo cute too ;)

 
At 5:44 AM, Blogger Bezzie said...

What Rose said! You're a spinner to aspire to!

That black kitty's eye color almost matches the sock yarn color!

 
At 8:17 AM, Blogger aija said...

Amazing handspun!

 
At 4:27 AM, Blogger KnitWit said...

Wowie that's some pretty yarn! I especially like the blending of blue and green. I really like how it plays with the eye forcing it to see a shade of teal from afar and the subtle tones up close.

Prime example of why I want to spin :D

 
At 7:05 PM, Anonymous joyce said...

sarah--i saw your post on knitty about the fricke wheel, and was wondering if you had any advice. i recently purchased a used fricke off of ebay, and it was sent with no instructions. i've never seen a wheel (no stores anywhere vaguely near us, and althougoh it reassembled ok, i'm not sure how to get it to spin, if that makes sense. the fricke folks haven't responded to my emails, and i'm playing with it, but would love to know i have it set up correctly and the little metal V on the front is, in fact the orifice. if you wouldn't mind chatting with me abou it, i would be so appreciative!

 
At 4:51 AM, Blogger Sarah Hall said...

Sarah, I like your post. I know and understand that it really does take a lot longer to spin this nice fine sock-yarn than something like that llama. Good luck! Happy spinning! Our custom paper writing services are looking forward to mutually beneficial cooperating with you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home