Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Fiber Fest and Spinning

Last Sunday, Nate and I went to the Pagosa Springs Fiber Festival. It was the first fiber festival either of us have been to, and we had a wonderful time. We made lots of contacts with people who raise fiber animals, and were encouraged by talking to them about their experiences. In fact, we came away thinking how much we really want to go forward and get some sheep and llamas!

Navajo Churro sheep. I think we'll probably start out with some of these guys. Since they're adapted to this environment and availible locally. In fact Jim and Pam Dyer of Dyer's wool raise them about 9 miles up the road from us!


A sample of some of the roving I bought. This is 2 oz. of 70% baby alpaca, 30% silk from an alpaca called Bo J who lives with the cool ladies of A Simple Piece of String in northern Colorado. I can't wait to spin it up!


Some of my recent spinning. The dark brown on top is 2 oz. of 100% Suri Llama, from a llama called Delight, who also lives with the Simple Piece of String ladies. The lighter brown is Shetland Moorit from Woodland Woolworks.


The Suri Llama skein. I loved spinning this. SO soft. So espresso colored. And really easy to spin a nice fine even single. I plyed two singles together to get a true laceweight yarn.


Suri yarn detail:


Skein of Moorit. I have a total of 12 oz. of this, and have spun about 8.5 so far. I'm getting a feel for the hand of each fiber, letting it's character come through in my spinning. This Shetland likes to be a sport-DK weight single, and have a little fuzzyness. When plyed it really likes to be around a light worsted weight.


Detail of the Shetland Moorit. I'm really happy with how my spinning is progressing. I can spin pretty even now. I can ply into an well balanced yarn. And I really am enjoying the different natural shades of wool lately.


Oh, and I did end up taking many more rovings home to play with. But, the llama on the bobbin doesn't do it justice, so I'll wait til it's skeined to photograph. Knitting? Well, with all the moving lately I haven't been knitting that much. Spinning instead. But, I can't take my wheel with me to Michigan, so I'll be knitting by tomorrow!

5 Comments:

At 9:38 AM, Blogger Valerie said...

I love it! You're going to get some suri llamas and send me fiber regularly, right? :)

 
At 9:42 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

If I get Suri Llamas, I'll send you some fiber!

I think Suris are hard to find since they're only 2% of the llama population though...but one can dream!

 
At 10:38 AM, Blogger Jerry & Maxy said...

You are a truly amazing spinner. I always love seeing what you've spun. I'm still trying to knit :)

 
At 11:35 AM, Anonymous rose said...

Your spinning is great. It makes me want to spend more hours than I can with my wheel.

 
At 4:55 PM, Blogger Bezzie said...

Gorgeous! Can I ask, does it have that wonderful llama smell? It's not a bad smell, just a wonderful llama-y smell.

Have fun in Michigan!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home