Thursday, April 06, 2006

Yarn Dyeing

Last week, my parents-in-law visited from Michigan. Anna Mae is a crocheter, quilter and knitter, so I thought we could have some fun dyeing yarn together! I had 25 50g balls of Peer Gynt Natural wool, a bunch of kool-aid packets, and Wiltons icing dyes. We dyed a total of 10 balls, which I skeined and tied loosely. The yarn hanging to dry:

Another view of the yarn, farther away, but the colors in this photo are a little more accurate.

In the dyeing process, two done 8 to go!

It was a fun first experiment for both of us, and we enjoyed doing slightly different things with our skeins to see what the end result would be. For future reference, I think I'd use more dye, or overdye, to get darker colors. Or, start with gray wool to get a richer look. These yarns are definitely bright!

Thanks Anna Mae, I had a great time! And thank you too for the signed copy of Lily Chin's book Knitting and Crocheting with Beads! I look forward to trying out some of those projects!

Though I have made a scarf with one of the skeins, very easter-ish. Pics of that later....

1 Comments:

At 11:04 AM, Blogger Jerry & Maxy said...

It must have such fun! I look forward to seeing the yarn knitted up.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home